Small holes in leaves...Earwigs

Tonight, I think I found what has been eating small holes in my plant leaves-earwigs. Is there an organic insecticide to kill them? Pyrethrins don't work, in this case.

Nothing works very well for earwigs.  Diatomatious earth will get them, but you need to keep applying.  Roll up newspapers, keeping a hollow center, and put them near the plant (get them a little damp), then collect them early in the AM, without letting them crawl out, and dispose of them.  I've tried the beer, and other traps with not a lot of success, some die, but the plants are still eaten.  I've thought of a bait with Boric acid, but never got that going.  Spinosad mixed into a bait may work too. I've mixed this into a bran, molasses, etc. bait and it worked for grasshoppers. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=114215648610370&story_fbid=429538360411429 I've heard that tinfoil around the bases of the plants may work (or other barriers) as well. Chickens love them...

Oh, and the recipe above - you can get these ingredients at 'farm supply stores' - here it's IFA.  Look for ones that sell tack (horse stuff), veterinary supplies for farm animals and pets, chicken feed, etc.  These ingredients are sold in bulk for animal feed. If you are in a really urban area it might not be possible unless you can get to a farming/ranching area.  It's surprisingly cheap bought that way.  Or you can go with a much smaller dose from a health-food store or Co-op.

Back