• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Small peppers and some questions...

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on smaller peppers. I've grown a couple so far--Tabasco and Pimenta de Cheiro--and so far my impressions have been mixed.

For the Tabasco pepper, I used to like plucking one from the plant and snacking on, but when it came to actually using them... that's where the problems began. I would chop them up in 3-5 pieces, most of the juice would just squirt out, and food would be unevenly heated. Then I realized their use for powders--that, IMO, is where they shine, and is one of the primary reasons I grew it again this year and will likely keep a plant or two around every year. That, plus the fact that I like how freaking huge they get... they're some good growers, and they do pack some impressive heat for such small peppers.

With the Pimenta de Cheiro, my use has so far been restricted to a snack here and there. I covered some of them with chocolate and coconut flakes, which was actually very nice--but there are some of those left, and I'll probably just throw them out because they're getting old and there's no way of telling how good they still are (if they still are). I'm not bothering to freeze any of the peppers; they're going straight to powder; I learned from the Tabasco not to bother using them fresh or from the freezer sliced and cooked into food, they're just too small to evenly distribute the heat and flavor in food. I have yet to try this powder though, because I haven't actually ground them up yet.

But anyway, what is your favorite use for small peppers? And are there any others that are truly good and worth growing? If so, I might take a shot at a few more next year. I was thinking about trying the Cumari do Para and Arivivi Gusano because I heard good things about them. In fact the Cumari/Wild Brazil was what I wanted to grow this past season but had to stick with the Pimenta de Cheiro because it was sold out. Does anyone know how similar the two are? I was looking for that fruit loop-like taste that people have described in the the Cumari, but didn't find that in the Pimenta de Cheiro... if they're really that similar, I might as well pass on the Cumari.

Also, I like that unique flavor of Cholula Hot Sauce, which claims to be made with Pequins and Chile de Arbol... problem is, I have no idea what type of "pequin" it is that they use, or if it's the de Arbol that lends the specific flavor I'm after. I'm leaning more toward the Pequin though, because according to Neil's review and various comments accross the Web, the pequin has a "nutty" flavor and this seems to kind of describe the flavor I get with Cholula. For example, ChilePlants.com lists many varieties listed as "pequin types," but none specifically called the "Pequin." Does anyone know of a specific variety of pequin that tends to produce and grow well, and has the "nutty" flavor?

Welcome to the world of chile taxonomy.

Many call the small wild chiles piquin without reference to what else is out there and now there a thousand piquins, none the same.

Piquin means small in Mexican Spanish and is, I think, idiomatic.

Heh, so once again it's the taxonomy. That's ironic, because this is not the first time I was confused about something (and even asked on here) only to find that it's much more complex/confusing than what the names make it seem. I'll probably forget about the Pequin until I find out a good variety.

I have been growing a small C. frutescensfrom Mexico for several years now. It tastes very similar to the Tabasco. It does have a nice strong flavor when fresh and it is VERY hot, but I use them strictly for drying and powder. A little powder goes a long way and is great added to Chinese and Italian food.

Back