Small Pods, Any Expert Opinions

My annums (Jalapeño, Serrano and Anaheim) are going crazy with flowers and setting pods, virtually ever flower sets a pod but they don't grow to the size I've seen before. I've let these pods go to red waiting for them to get bigger. On another note my Chinese (habs, 7 pot and T Scorp) are flowering but dropping most all their flowers. Any thoughts, my first year growing so expect some set backs. Here are some pics.

Tam Jalepeno

xomgco.jpg

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Jalepeno

30aui61.jpg

Serramo

2ngeq20.jpg

Any thoughts would be appreciated

many pepper plants will start producing smaller pods in the very late stages... due to many reasons including weather changing. and nutrition reasons many varities will have this issue if ur plants used to give you bigger pods and now only small one thats normal but if your plants been giving you this size all season long this means you have wrong variety ....

Agreed! My Biker Japs and Orange Habs have been getting ripe at smaller size and now frost is abt a week away :eek:

It could also just be soil quality and nutrients. Look at my picture all of the peppers are the same type and were all harvested at the same time and you can see the size difference between the ones that were in better soil vs miracle grow.

IMAG0172.jpg

Tam Jalepeno

xomgco.jpg
Digressing for just a moment ~ ~ ~ Those are just TOO CUTE!!!

I'm also growing TAM's, and mine are about twice that size right now. However, mine are also very green. The TAM and cayenne both started flowering wildly about a month ago, but the jalapenos only produced a handful of flowers for this go-round. I've got at least 30 new pods each on the TAM and cayenne, but no new pods on the jalapeno. (I think the jalapeno isn't producing so much right now because it's still got an earlier crop that's finishing up ripening.) I decided last night to start bringing the plants inside for the nights, as our temps are dipping into the mid-40's. Others have told me that the end-of-season temps and light change will produce midgets such as yours, so I'm making a point to try to get them as much sun as possible - have moved them out from their former somewhat-protected corner (which was just enough protection for stronger winds, but still pretty sunny most of the day), and only move them back when high winds are expected. So I'm wondering how much light your plants are getting each day, now that the days are getting shorter, as well as what your temps are. You're not as far North as I am, so I would think you're in a warmer area, but you may have other conditions that influence.

geeme, I chopped um up last night and threw them in some chile and topped some spicy polish dogs for dinner.:onfire: :onfire: Should have posted on JayT's dog post

geeme, I chopped um up last night and threw them in some chile and topped some spicy polish dogs for dinner.:onfire: :onfire: Should have posted on JayT's dog post
Sounds good. But are you saying you finished off all your pods? If so, sounds like they came to a tasty end! Hopefully you can overwinter them and get even better results next year.

Not at all, there are lots more out there, those are just the ones that turned red. I'm not sure what I'll over winter, not much. This was my first year growing, got 15 plants and the hab are finally starting to set pods with lots of flowers. We've got a more growing season yet. I want to try some new planting mixes next year and some different peppers.

What are your low temps logchief? Cooler temps at night will send a plant into survival mode and they'll start ripening pods a lot sooner at a smaller size. Mid forties here at night have cause quite a few small ripe ones of all varieties, except the pubes.

What are your low temps logchief? Cooler temps at night will send a plant into survival mode and they'll start ripening pods a lot sooner at a smaller size. Mid forties here at night have cause quite a few small ripe ones of all varieties, except the pubes.

For the next week or so it's forecast lows in the mid to high 50s

What have they been over the last few weeks, particularly the few weeks before your micro-pods ripened?

If you're not sure, you can go to weather.com, slap in your zip code, then go to the month view - they put the historical highs and lows on that page.

I believe in my situation the soil isn't lite enough. It is so heavy that there is very little difference in the weight of a totally dry container and a fresh watered container.The soil is soooooo compacted that the roots are having a difficult time getting oxygen and they can't spread out as easily as a lite soil mix. I bought 6 yards of dirt for raised beds and it is horrible. I bought sunshine mix for my container plants and they are looking much better. I planted my container plants a month later than the raised beds. The container plants aren't quite as tall, but they are more loaded with pods and bushier.

I hope this helps

Josh

Josh - did you specifically get bedding soil, or just "dirt"? I've found bedding soil makes a huge difference. If the dirt you got was standard Texas dirt, it likely has too much clay in it.

For previous night time temps it's been in the 60s or even higher earlier in Sept. I did the same thing Josh did with soil and ended repotting all of my plants and adding alot of amendments like potting soil and vermiculite. Big question I have and am going to post another thread on info for next years planting is are folks running 100% potting mix like Pro Mix for their potted peppers. I've read through LGHT's thread on soil which is great, but doesn't answer my 100% question.

Back