• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Small problem and a question

Most of my plants are doing fine, but two of them have been damaged by snails. They chewed off a bit of the stem. The plants are looking droopy, unless I water them. But giving them water every day might even be more problematic in the long run.

I added a bit of soil to "hide" the wounds.

Should I continue to give them a bit of water or should I just let them try to recover on their own?

Another question: I bought a lot of potting soil this year, and I know that at the end of the season that soil contains diseases. Is there a way to "cure" the soil for the next season so that I can reuse it (and add NPK of course)? Or do I just throw it all away and buy new bags next year (a bit expensive for 80 plus containers)?

I am one of those people, but I am only doing it with new soil. I also hate the idea of throwing tons of soil away, but I think it is too risky to reuse it, except in the garden.

IF you wanna microwave it, make sure it's moist enough or it'll burn to ashes and your whole place will smell awful all day --- trust me on that! :)

Ta. Fair enough. Microwaving 200 gallons of soil doesn't really seem like a nice prospect though... :shocked:

It's not so much about the money, it's about not wasting stuff. In this case, it sounds like just buying it every year is the best way to go for us.

That said: most of our peppers/veggies are on our "driveway", and I'm considering getting rid of the concrete so I can plant them in "real soil". Sorry for the probably stupid question, but you don't throw away the top layer of that every year do you? Are the problems due to the containers?

Darn, I just wanted a few peppers this year, and now I'm probably asking "farmer 101" questions. :oops:

You can solarize your soil by laying it thin and flat in full sun with a peice of plastic or poly over it for a few weeks. The heat should burn off the bad stuff but also a lot of goodies.

Back