• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Smart Pots On Sale

I dont know if any of you are looking at getting some Smart Pots, but I just got an email from Drip Works that they are trying to clear out their 2011 stock. 5 gal Smart Pots for 4.89. They have a bunch of sizes. Here is the link.

http://www.dripworksusa.com/store/smartpot.php

i have heard they are great, but i have not used them, i have a few 10gallon that i will be using this season, i hear they allow the roots to breathe MUCH better than any other pots.

I have been intrigued by this as well. If I didn't already have a bunch of pots and containers I would seriously consider trying them out. They are cost competetive, too. I think moving them would necessitate a dolly or hand truck. 5 or 10 gallons of wet dirt in a soft pouch is heavy and cumbersome. I would be interested in hearing more about these from someone who has used them. I'd especially like to know if they really last 5 years or more. I suppose they would help avoid root rot problems. I line my container bottoms with landscape cloth and it holds the dirt great and the roots don't exit the drain holes, so I wonder if this concept might not just work?

i have heard they are great, but i have not used them, i have a few 10gallon that i will be using this season, i hear they allow the roots to breathe MUCH better than any other pots.

Be sure to keep us posted.

I have 2 of the 5 gallon smart pots, with the soil mix I use, they are not cumbersome to move at all.

Pequins seem to love them.

I used similar pots last year. They worked great. No issues moving them. They only drawback is that they dry out quicker than plastic pots. I just ordered a bunch of these.

Root pouches are just like smart pots but are much cheaper. I ordered 25 x 1 pint (15 - 20 month life), 25 x 1 gallon (3 - 4 year life), and 10 x 5 gallon (4 - 5 year life) root pouches from here and the cost per pouch after shipping was $0.84.

1 note, the 1 pints say they are not meant to be standalone. And it would seem correct as the bottoms are rounded and don't stand well. I compensated for this by pushing the rounded portion of the bottom up into the pouch so it kind of "cups". This reduces a bit of root space, but allows the pouch to stand properly.

I can't compare them to standard pots or smart pots as this is my first year growing, but so far, my plants seem to be happy.

Back