• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Smoke Somethin

Got this char-griller premium kettle for my birthday, it says its a smoker too.

So after a little research and about 40 bucks for charcoal baskets and a pizza stone I'm gonna give it a shot.

Here's the kettle

20190312_183105.jpg

Charcoal baskets

20190315_091049.jpg

Modified grate out of my old grill, had to cut the sides off, and hit it with a hammer a couple times so it would get past these bolts.

20190315_095524.jpg

Pizza Stone(heat diffuser)

20190315_091703.jpg

Water/drip pan

20190315_091914.jpg

Forgot to add the apple wood, it wasn't that bad to open everything back up. Glad I took out some of the center of the old grate.

20190315_103011.jpg

Iron mikes mustard Bbq for a binder and Montreal steak, some minced onions, salt and pepper on the rub.

20190315_103136.jpg

20190315_102248.jpg

Questions, comments, and suggestions all welcome. This will be my smoking/grilling thread.

Bout to slap the meat on now!

20190315_110609.jpg

Yeah. The twin bedsheet was already in her intestines. I would have paid for the surgery but it also gave her bloat, and they said she probably wouldn't make it through the surgery. My dog I had for 11 years died Christmas eve, my friend breeds them so I grabbed this older dog from him so I didn't have to deal with a puppy. She was super good with the kids. I knew better than to leave the sheet out there. But she hadn't really chewed anything, and I didn't have any straw. Should have just stuffed some leaves in the doghouse. We were only gone for a little over 2 hours.

Widdled some handles for the cold smoker build today. Need to get some bolts and nuts and drill some holes in them. I think they will look pretty good, esp with some poly on them or something.

20190326_200636.jpg

Cut them out of a piece of live edge red cedar I've had for a while.

That sucks about your pooch [emoji24]. Those handles look good [emoji106]
I had to have a dog put down a couple of years ago. Nothing fun about that [emoji24]. Luckily the vet was compassionate about it and it was quick, but it still effing sucked [emoji24]: tears : feel your pain, man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I somehow measured only once on the big handle. Had to go buy some wood filler... SMH
I guess its still pretty cool. I just wish I would have paid more attention. I didnt get the holes very straight on the small handle, but it looks good if you look at it straight on lol. Bout to try to get it finished up this morning and I will post more pics.

Went ahead and tossed a piece of Colby Jack in there after it ran for a half hour or so. The smoke isn't very thin or blue, I read about people wetting the pellets to turn them to a chunky sawdust, then drying them in the oven and getting better smoke. I also either need a heat source to get the cabinet over ambient temps to get the draft to start, or a smokestack maybe, possibly a fan on either the intake or exhaust to pull/push the smoke through. Definitely have more tinkering to do.

20190328_162123.jpg

Fish bubbler air pump at the exhaust stack to create a low pressure draw might work or even an external fan at the exhaust like you said for a pull.

Most fishing stores have watertight sealed battery operated air pumps for boat live wells. Pretty cheap too. When I had cichlids, I kept one as a backup if the power failed.

Back