• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Smoke Somethin

Got this char-griller premium kettle for my birthday, it says its a smoker too.

So after a little research and about 40 bucks for charcoal baskets and a pizza stone I'm gonna give it a shot.

Here's the kettle

20190312_183105.jpg

Charcoal baskets

20190315_091049.jpg

Modified grate out of my old grill, had to cut the sides off, and hit it with a hammer a couple times so it would get past these bolts.

20190315_095524.jpg

Pizza Stone(heat diffuser)

20190315_091703.jpg

Water/drip pan

20190315_091914.jpg

Forgot to add the apple wood, it wasn't that bad to open everything back up. Glad I took out some of the center of the old grate.

20190315_103011.jpg

Iron mikes mustard Bbq for a binder and Montreal steak, some minced onions, salt and pepper on the rub.

20190315_103136.jpg

20190315_102248.jpg

Questions, comments, and suggestions all welcome. This will be my smoking/grilling thread.

Bout to slap the meat on now!

20190315_110609.jpg

Nice one Bum! I just put 2 butts and a chunk of brisket on about an hour ago.

My garage became all the way packed full of shit over the last couple years, and it was time to clean it out. I picked up a couple of these cheap wedding tents for 35 a piece and set one up to put my grills under while I cleaned and built storage. Hauled off 2 truckloads of junk and trash that idk why it was even being stored. Put some stuff out by the road, and made a whopping 11 bucks off the load of scrap metal I had. Scrapped a working dryer and my dryer broke 2 days later too, lol

dell keyboard diagnostic tool
I will try to get some finished pics of the meat but it might be late

Post image is adding some keyboard diagnostic tool to my picture I guess? I tried to delete that and then the whole pic was gone

Bone pulled clean, good flavor, wish I could nail down a way to have the crispy fat on the outside like it was b4 I wrapped it. Next time I think I will put foil under it,so I can get it off the smoker, but not wrap it all the way. I got just over 7 lbs of meat, but my neighbor mowed my yard again so I took 2 bags across the street. I also took all the fat and cooked it on the griddle until it was crispy like some bacon. My daughter loves it, I probably ate more than I should have lol.

free image posting

Cut up about half of the brisket for omelettes

bulk image uploader

Working on a cart for the 22" WSM.

Gotta figure out way to mount the bowl to the base of the cart that doesn't look out of place.

The table came out decent, I'd been saving the top from an old desk that I thought was solid wood, it turned out to be veneer over MDF when I cut into it

Looks better than it did, even though I sanded through the veneer in a couple spots

Walchit said:
Working on a cart for the 22" WSM.
New table looks MINT, Andy! Awesome job, man! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Walchit said:
Been cleaning the garage for weeks!
Holy crap, dude! They*re like Gremlins in water! :rofl: You*re making me jealous! Pretty sure I*m gonna be getting a WSM soon. I*ve made enough *passing comments* to my wife over the past few months about getting one that I think she knows it*s inevitably coming

I was cleaning my garage this weekend too, lol. Had to put a couple of shelves up. The 2 toolboxes are full of rubs, injections, gadgets, etc.; the milk crates up top are full of apple and maple logs; black and yellow bin is full of bags of different wood chunks (pecan, hickory, post oak, cherry, etc.); blue cooler is full of blankets for resting briskets; galvanized can is where I dump leftover ashes until they cool off

C6FE32EE-7D2E-4989-8A0B-D3B852955E9E.jpeg

^ I think I can shift some shit around and fit a 22 inch WSM in there somewhere

Walchit said:
Looks better than it did, even though I sanded through the veneer in a couple spots

Dude, I've sanded a lot of veneers, one of the many problems is not so much sanding through but sanding into a glue pocket. The tech for cutting veneers has gotten to where you're basically getting a picture of wood over mdf. You can run down to the box stores nowadays and buy rolls of veneer to apply yourself, stain and finish to taste...

From the side it looked like there was an 1/8" piece of veneer. But that was actually some sort of plywood layer, and the veneer is paper thin. I want to get a table saw and some more woodworking tools but we will see.

@mike, I like your setup, I wish you were closer so I could come over and see your storage solutions first hand lol. Keep your eyes peeled on craigslist and facebook marketplace, you should be able to find one for 250 or less. I somehow got mine for 125 BNIB. I still haven't used it because it's so clean and I don't want to get it dirty. I can put the word out on the weber forum if your interested in a used one, and they will start sending me links in your area lol

Back