• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Smoked Habaneros

Good afternoon all.

I decided to ferment a different kind of sauce this time around. I got a whole batch of chocolate Habaneros in and decided to smoke half of them in my smoker. (I plan on fermenting the smoked and regular ones together)

Does anyone have any experience or stories about using smoked peppers to make ferments? Or any tips?
4ce1f789f67635892a7ef744f4ee0653.jpg
37c83e037c17677842f66646ee64fca6.jpg
79ca40e973fa515c8b506531856d6f41.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I made some a couple years ago. It was a slooooow ferment so I decided to do as you are and go half fresh next time. Also would add some onions and carrots to give the bugs something to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year made some and I thought it came out pretty good. I used store bought chipotle. I had a batch of fermented peppers in the fridge. I cut the stems off the chipotle and soaked them in vinegar for a week or so. (I usually add rice vinegar when I blend my peppers to sauce to reach the desired consistency ).

Then I just blended the peppers vinegar and chipotle into sauce. It came out pretty good, but I'll probably use more chipotle next time.

This year made my own chipotles using some leftover super hot peppers and the same smoker you did. I posted a picture in the welcome forum.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

B-sauce said:
Last year made some and I thought it came out pretty good. I used store bought chipotle. I had a batch of fermented peppers in the fridge. I cut the stems off the chipotle and soaked them in vinegar for a week or so. (I usually add rice vinegar when I blend my peppers to sauce to reach the desired consistency ).

Then I just blended the peppers vinegar and chipotle into sauce. It came out pretty good, but I'll probably use more chipotle next time.

This year made my own chipotles using some leftover super hot peppers and the same smoker you did. I posted a picture in the welcome forum.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
How did it turn out? I got mine in the crock so time will tell!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've done several and I think the best batch was some cold smoked Trinidad scorpions.  I found prior to cold smoking the heat from the wood basically "cooked" the peppers too much so it didn't have that fresh pepper taste and instead was just a hot sauce if that makes since. 

Back