• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Lobster

My bro owned a bar on a pier for many years and he had one of those "lobster tanks" that you put a buck in and try and grab a lobster. If you win you get the lobster cooked with sides of your choice. It was amazing to see how many drunk guys would try and win the lobster!! I would see guys spend as much as $50 bucks and walk away with nothing and then see a kid spend $2 and get a lobster. Since it was such a big attraction he would probably buy about 50 lobster a week. I still keep in touch with his fish monger and occasionally I'll pick up a few of his big lobsters at cost ($6 a lb). I really prefer smoking them so I decided to pick up a few big ones for dinner last night. Mine was 9.5 lbs and looked like it one of Hell Boy's pet with a huge right claw!!

Fired up the WSM and filled the water pan with about 2 quarts of salted water and a hint of appled juice. The key to smoking lobster is keeping the smoker environment "steamy" to ensure the lobsters won't dry out. I soaked the lobsters in icy cold water for about 5 minutes and dropped them into hot, but not boiling water for about 2 to basically kill them then wrapped both lobsters whole in about 3 layers of heavy duty foil poked a few holes and added in a few lemon wedges. I set the stoker temp to 350 and I used 2 chimneys of coals to ensure the water was at a slow boil and the smoker was nice and hot. Put the lobster on the 2nd rack and added a small piece of alder and a large piece of apple wood. The smoker was nice and steamy with a light smoke. Left them on at that temp for about 40 minutes and opened up the foil to let them cook for about 15 more.

Here is a pic of the lobsters as they come off the grill.

lobster.jpg

A pic of the claw that was about 10" long and 5" wide.

lobsterclaw.jpg

Here is a pic of the meal with a piece of fish and some dipping sauces.

dinner.jpg

DROOL!!!!!!! I LOVE lobster!!!!! My favorite food EVER!!! 9.5# THATS AMAZING :) Looks absolutely delish!!!!!!!!! Thanks for making me want lobster at 10:30 in the morning.

do you crack the bodies at all before wrapping? I wouldnt think the smoke would penetrate thru the shell much ? I wonder if after a quick poach if you cut them in half and drizzled melted butter, garlic and parsley would work as well like grilling them? That is a HUGE claw !! Thats like a 5lb lobster with a 4.5 lb claw :drooling:

I just foil them whole. You can taste a light smoke, but not a heavy one even though they smoke for the entire cook. I figure if you crack or tail the lobster and then smoke it, you would get too much smoke taste and that would ruin the delicate lobster meat. I've tasted one guy who smokes tails in hickory and it taste horrible, but that's just my taste preference.

I just foil them whole. You can taste a light smoke, but not a heavy one even though they smoke for the entire cook. I figure if you crack or tail the lobster and then smoke it, you would get too much smoke taste and that would ruin the delicate lobster meat. I've tasted one guy who smokes tails in hickory and it taste horrible, but that's just my taste preference.
I could see where it would be to heavy of a smoke. The meat is very tender. I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks

Are those lobsters indigenous to Cali? We have them here all up the coast in CT to Maine but I thought they would be different in your area. Maybe ingnorance is bliss :)

Are those lobsters indigenous to Cali? We have them here all up the coast in CT to Maine but I thought they would be different in your area. Maybe ingnorance is bliss :)

Those are Maine lobsters. Here in cali we have what's called "California Spiny" lobsters and they are usually only available from October through end of March when they are allowed to be caught. Since I fish and dive I would catch them all the time back in the late 90's either diving or "hoopnetting" them before they where popular with local fisherman. I could go out around midnight and catch my limit in a few hours with an average size being 4-6 lbs each. The largest caught was just over 12 lbs. However California Spiny lobsters don't have claws so there isn't as much meat.

photo_upload122_hugelobster.jpg

The good part about CA Spiny lobsters are they are a lot sweeter than main lobsters.

When I visited florida we ate at a crab shack thet had one of those machines. The waitress told me to go after the ones in the corner. I ended up spending 5-6 bucks to have lobster :drooling:

That is a huge claw! Not fair, I want one :mope:

When I visited florida we ate at a crab shack thet had one of those machines. The waitress told me to go after the ones in the corner. I ended up spending 5-67 bucks to have lobster :drooling:

That is a huge claw! Not fair, I want one :mope:

Yeah those machines are horribly addictive. I helped stock them a few times and the guy we would get lobster from would always put aside the "active" ones for us so even if you where good enough to grab one as it was being carried to the opening it would flip it's tail and get away.

He must have made at least $600-700 a week with that machine.

Here is a pic of the meal with a piece of fish and some dipping sauces.

dinner.jpg

Man that is whole fish not just a piece haha. Also, digging the Chateau St. Michelle. One of the best bangs for the buck and I guarantee that Riesling was might tasty with that lobster. Right on!

Man that is whole fish not just a piece haha. Also, digging the Chateau St. Michelle. One of the best bangs for the buck and I guarantee that Riesling was might tasty with that lobster. Right on!

Yeah the old lady enjoys fish more than lobster and there is a place that fries them whole for you in the store. It's great because I don't have to worry about cooking the fish.

Wow you could read that label? It's actually a little sweet, but does go well with the lobster. I was surprised how much better that wine taste with 5-6 years of age. It's a pretty good daily drinking wine and a great deal at $6 a bottle if you buy a case.

Yup I thought I recognized the label, then I enlarged the pic to make sure. That is pretty cool how they will fry up the fish for you to take home. I suppose you just have to warm it up on the grill for a few min and then chow down? Awesome!
The wife enjoys their Cab and Merlot...goes with red meat and I think its probably pretty close to $6 or $7 per bottle by the case too. Good affordable drinking wines. Again, that lobster looks damn good!

Back