• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Smoked Powder

I used some apple wood and smoked in my Big Chief smoker some chocolate habs and some of my goats weed and thai peppers. Then I dehydrated them over night. The red one is a blend of 2/3 thai and 1/3 goats weed. The chocolate is 100% habs. I forgot how much I enjoy making powder since most of the time I'm making sauce from my peppers. 

Attachments

• powder.jpg
    powder.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 61
Wow what a big difference in heat. I just tried them both on a hard boiled egg. I ate the red one first and the flavor and heat was perfect. Then up next was the choc hab powder with the same amount of powder on the egg. The smoked flavor jumped right out at you then boom the heat all over the mouth, tongue, throat, lips. My entire mouth is still on fire. The hab powder will be used a little more sparingly lol. 

SavinaRed said:
Wow what a big difference in heat. I just tried them both on a hard boiled egg. I ate the red one first and the flavor and heat was perfect. Then up next was the choc hab powder with the same amount of powder on the egg. The smoked flavor jumped right out at you then boom the heat all over the mouth, tongue, throat, lips. My entire mouth is still on fire. The hab powder will be used a little more sparingly lol. 

That stuff will sneak up on you. :drooling:  :mouthonfire:  :tear:

SavinaRed said:
HAHAHA my brother did that with some smoked chocolate moruga powder I gave him.  He wasn't expecting the level of heat.  First time I've ever seen him react to something hot.

The_DoGMaN said:
HAHAHA my brother did that with some smoked chocolate moruga powder I gave him.  He wasn't expecting the level of heat.  First time I've ever seen him react to something hot.
Might have to grab a pinch of that powder off you sir... :)

I have my own blend from every pepper I grew/found this year to trade.  It's lethal.  Delicious, but lethal.

SavinaRed said:
I used some apple wood and smoked in my Big Chief smoker some chocolate habs and some of my goats weed and thai peppers. Then I dehydrated them over night. The red one is a blend of 2/3 thai and 1/3 goats weed. The chocolate is 100% habs. I forgot how much I enjoy making powder since most of the time I'm making sauce from my peppers. 
I was curious how many peppers it took to fill those jars??  And what did you use to grind them up?

BrooksideSuperHots said:
Might have to grab a pinch of that powder off you sir... :)

I have my own blend from every pepper I grew/found this year to trade.  It's lethal.  Delicious, but lethal.

I was curious how many peppers it took to fill those jars??  And what did you use to grind them up?
i dried 70 habs to fill that shaker. I used a small food processor to break up the pods then put that into a bodum burr coffee grinder on the finest setting ( has 12 settings).

I have several dozen jalapenos that I'm harvesting tomorrow. A half and half mix of reds and greens. I'm going to smoke them for a few hours and dehydrate after. This will be a powder the whole family will enjoy. Most of the others are to hot lol. I'm going to try each of them tomorrow on the pot of chili I'm going to make.

Update- I had more than I thought there are 8 dozen now in the smoker and I left several dozen on my plants. Forecast is daytime temps in the 60's and lows in the 40's for the next 2 weeks.

Ozzy2001 said:
I smoked a bunch of Baccatums. Lemon, Pineapple, and Starfish. Used applewood as well and made flakes with them. So good on pizza and pasta. Also made some purée with some smoked nagas. Only need to dip your fork or spoon in it then mix it in the food. So good! Smoked purée is really good in a Bloody Mary too.
Yes next year I plan on making some powder with my Baccatums as well. This year I only made sauce with my Bishops.

SavinaRed said:
Yes next year I plan on making some powder with my Baccatums as well. This year I only made sauce with my Bishops.
Hell yeah I love Bishop hat peppers. Shorerider smoke's his with Beachwood then makes his powders. Absolutely one of the nicest tasting powders. I use that on everything. Just made meatloaf gave it the nicest flavor. Haven't really used Beachwood before but am definitely looking into using it in the near future.

Back