Smoker/grill hybrids, anyone?

Got a friend looking for one, so any recommendations maybe? The budget is about 1000$, and he would like to use charcoal as a power source. He's stubborn as a mule and doesn't want to get separate grill and smoker, and that's the problem.
I've been thinking about Oklahoma Joe Highland, but unfortunately, I don't own one and have never cooked on one, but I have looked them over in the stores (as I once wanted to buy one). I'm a bit concerned of fuel consumption, though. Also - as far as I know, it requires some DIY and modifications, and I'm just not sure that it would be a good solution for him. So, anyone have one of these? Or maybe there are better (and more simplistic aka no-brain, since he's a newbie) options?
Thanks in advance, fellow peppermaniacs, as I would appreciate any advice. 

spice.must.flow said:
Got a friend looking for one, so any recommendations maybe? The budget is about 1000$, and he would like to use charcoal as a power source. He's stubborn as a mule and doesn't want to get separate grill and smoker, and that's the problem.
I've been thinking about Oklahoma Joe Highland, but unfortunately, I don't own one and have never cooked on one, but I have looked them over in the stores (as I once wanted to buy one). I'm a bit concerned of fuel consumption, though. Also - as far as I know, it requires some DIY and modifications, and I'm just not sure that it would be a good solution for him. So, anyone have one of these? Or maybe there are better (and more simplistic aka no-brain, since he's a newbie) options?
Thanks in advance, fellow peppermaniacs, as I would appreciate any advice. 

Finally, an update.

As it seems like Oklahoma Joe is not very efficient with charcoal in general, and overall it's fuel consumption is "above average" according to some forums (proof). 
So we both dropped this option. After some considerations, seller recommended us to have a look at Weber instead. I haven't thought about getting a cooker - since it was clear that friendo-weirdo is looking for a proper grill, not a cooker - but he was quite impressed. He pulled a trigger and already brought his brand new device (Smokey Mountain, 22") home, so he is going to test it this weekend (teaser: burgers and ribs are coming!). As it's just me here, probably shouldn't revive this topic again for the photos - in case there would be any. 

As for me, I decided that should wait for BF bargains and deals... so, no new toys for me - at least for now.

Thanks to sobelri for the emotional support! 

For what its worth, I’ll look at pictures. I love my Weber Smokey Mtn. But I only use it as a smoker. I’m stubborn as a mule also- my smoker is a smoker and my grill is a grill. I demand two separate devices at my house! I’m leaving out other grills, but you know what I’m sayin.

I think the two are best as separate units. Not saying you can't grill on a smoker or cook low and slow on a grill because I know you can. It's just trying to combine the two causes sacrifices imo.

I would also look at pictures and sample food if needed.

I have all three sizes of WSM, and a plethora of kettles. You can not go wrong with Weber. I still havent fired up my 22, because the 18 does everything ive needed so far. You could definitely grill on them if you remove the water pan, but you would have to work down on the bottom grate if you wanted a good sear.

Walchit said:
I have all three sizes of WSM, and a plethora of kettles. You can not go wrong with Weber. I still havent fired up my 22, because the 18 does everything ive needed so far. You could definitely grill on them if you remove the water pan, but you would have to work down on the bottom grate if you wanted a good sear.
LOL you have all three sizes? I don’t even know... should I even ask why or just say

OMFG YES YOU ARE MY IDOL !!!!

With a grand budget I'd go for the Primo Oval (ceramic kamado made in USA, oval shape instead of round) with a stand and some side shelves. A little more than a grand but the Oval Jr. may be a little small.

Smoke and grill both.

boutros said:
LOL you have all three sizes? I don’t even know... should I even ask why or just say

OMFG YES YOU ARE MY IDOL !!!!
Idk if I should be placed at idol status or not! Lol

I'm just addicted to webers big time. I have a problem, and its called Weberitis.

I just got a spit rod for my weber rotisseri, and spun my first turkey yesterday.

For what its worth, I probably still havent spent a grand, and I have a shit ton of grills and smokers. Search your local buy/sell/trade sites vigilantly, and you can find good stuff.

Walchit said:
Idk if I should be placed at idol status or not! Lol

I'm just addicted to webers big time. I have a problem, and its called Weberitis.

I just got a spit rod for my weber rotisseri, and spun my first turkey yesterday.

For what its worth, I probably still havent spent a grand, and I have a shit ton of grills and smokers. Search your local buy/sell/trade sites vigilantly, and you can find good stuff.

We drove to Denver once via I-70 a-a-a-a-a-a-ll the way through Kansas. The ditches were littered with Webers, like something out of The Stand....

...naw, just kidding...They were Charbroils, and filled the median.... :party:

Back