smokers SMOKERS-gas, electric, charcoal which is more cost effective

texas blues said:
HAH!

You just proved my case.

When heated to boiling, water evaporates in the form of steam.

Enjoy your steamed ribs!
Not only does the steam evaporate out of the soaked wood chips, my smoker has a water pan just above the wood chip pan. I like to add a 50/50 dilution of apple juice and water. This also evaporates into steam adding another level of juiciness (moisture). It makes for a real "sticky" smoke.

seasoned hard woods won't accept water if you try the " soak an hour or 24" thing. makes no difference. any chunks I've soaked for up to a week ignited in seconds when i put them in my pit in a hot spot i normally wouldn't add chunks to. I agree with a water pan but soaking seasoned hardwoods for an a hour or a day? cmon? and no, i didn't read the whole thread....wuteva..

I have a Big Chief I use allot for salmon. This summer I'm going to get a Big Green Egg or similar Kamado Grill. One of the reasons is for smoking at 200* for 8-12 hours with minimal fuel(wood,coals). And on the flip side they can reach temps of 1000* for searing steaks of making great pizza's. 

SavinaRed said:
I have a Big Chief I use allot for salmon. This summer I'm going to get a Big Green Egg or similar Kamado Grill. One of the reasons is for smoking at 200* for 8-12 hours with minimal fuel(wood,coals). And on the flip side they can reach temps of 1000* for searing steaks of making great pizza's. 
Got the acorn by chargriller last year, lowes $300 change of address PO packet lowes coupon brings ya to $275 love mine!

BBQ at 200 no problem grill at 700 no problem

PrimeTime said:
Got the acorn by chargriller last year, lowes $300 change of address PO packet lowes coupon brings ya to $275 love mine!

BBQ at 200 no problem grill at 700 no problem
I might go that route. I had my mind set on a ceramic for heat retention but this might by a good option for me.

its very well insulated. You will use about 20 or so briquets for a 5-6 hour smoke. can ramp up from 200 to 700 in about 10 minutes. can't beat it for the price. great starter for kamodo cooking. 

I'll second (or third) the Big/Little Chief electric smokers.  I've got the Little Chief and they last forever.  Ours is around 30 years old and still works great. 

Back