• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smokewood Database

We had a good thundarstorm last night, big lightning, big wind, big rain, no hail. Nothing was damaged here, but a neighbor lost a number of good sized Black Walnut boughs, mebbe 15 foot long and 3-5 inches diameter at the break. I got calls wondering if I wanted some kindling for the firepit, but I wondered if it was a decent smokewood, assuming not because I don't see any of you guys mention it.

So I did a search, found this site:

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Woods.htm

Lo & behold, walnut's on the list, sounds like a side additive, and good for game, which I never have a shortage of...

I noticed no list here, thought it at least interesting...for us newbies, of course... :shh:

kentishman said:
I was told a long time ago that, as a rule of thumb, both fruitwoods and nutwoods are good for smoking.

Same here.  I like pecan and walnut for smoking peppers (and other vegetables) and usually use apple & cherry for smoking meats.  Alder for fish is also good.

SmokenFire said:

Same here.  I like pecan and walnut for smoking peppers (and other vegetables) and usually use apple & cherry for smoking meats.  Alder for fish is also good.

I looked hither and yon (that's right, YON even!) for pecan to smoke my Thais and these dammable Sri Lanka Reds, nobody gots it, at least local. Peach neither. Gonna have to order it I guess.

I tried doing a batch of LO Thais yesterday using hickory, they're in the dehydrator now...

The walnut I collected won't be useable till next year, can't wait. This shit was full of premature nuts, NOT an aroma I want my peppers (or anything else) to acquire... :sick:

stettoman said:

I looked hither and yon (that's right, YON even!) for pecan to smoke my Thais and these dammable Sri Lanka Reds, nobody gots it, at least local. Peach neither. Gonna have to order it I guess.

I tried doing a batch of LO Thais yesterday using hickory, they're in the dehydrator now...

The walnut I collected won't be useable till next year, can't wait. This shit was full of premature nuts, NOT an aroma I want my peppers (or anything else) to acquire... :sick:
Did YON include Fleet Farm? I could swear I got Pecan there last year.

Back