• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Snagging some seeds from a restaurant

yesterday I was in a restaurant having some dinner and added whatever chili products there were to spice up the meal a bit and I found this powder that wasn't super hot, but hotter than say the Pizza Hut style chili shakers. Tasted really good and I noticed that the powder still had seeds in them so I poured it out onto my plate and secretly snagged a few seeds into my pocket while trying to not look like a freak.

It doesn't seem to odd to me to want to snag some seeds from a pepper I liked (and who knows if they're still valid) but anyone else see a pepper seed and automatically want to germinate it wondering what it is that tasted so good??

Heck, sometimes I'm even tempted to nick seeds from chillies that I don't like, just for the sake of planting them!

Only about a week ago I planted seeds from a chilli that I find intensely boring. You can get them at every supermarket here, and in some cases, they are the only ones you can find at some stores. Why would I plant these? I have absolutely no idea! I think it's some sort of compulsion.

The little buggers popped up the other day - can you believe I'm actually going to let one live...?

gasificada said:
Heck, sometimes I'm even tempted to nick seeds from chillies that I don't like, just for the sake of planting them!

Only about a week ago I planted seeds from a chilli that I find intensely boring. You can get them at every supermarket here, and in some cases, they are the only ones you can find at some stores. Why would I plant these? I have absolutely no idea! I think it's some sort of compulsion.

The little buggers popped up the other day - can you believe I'm actually going to let one live...?

ha ha. glad to hear that someone shares in the compulsion, even if we don't want the pepper to begin with, we're still fascinated with growing it for some reason. There's a certain value to seeds that you develop during the vegetable gardening process.

The was a thread not too long ago, where someone planted some seeds from a pizzaria crushed pepper jar and it spouted. Who woulda guessed?! And btw, we are called seed whores.

Personally I try to avoid growing any unknown or possible hybrid peppers unless they are extremely interesting. The dry seeds were also likely dehydrated with enough heat to kill them but good luck!

:dance:
Ballzworth said:
yesterday I was in a restaurant having some dinner and added whatever chili products there were to spice up the meal a bit and I found this powder that wasn't super hot, but hotter than say the Pizza Hut style chili shakers. Tasted really good and I noticed that the powder still had seeds in them so I poured it out onto my plate and secretly snagged a few seeds into my pocket while trying to not look like a freak.

It doesn't seem to odd to me to want to snag some seeds from a pepper I liked (and who knows if they're still valid) but anyone else see a pepper seed and automatically want to germinate it wondering what it is that tasted so good??

kleptochillimaniac....:dance:

Welcome to the club. The other day last month, I had been to a mid east store . Looking thro spice section, I spied packets of Hot peppers. Since all were sealed, It was not possible to taste their hotness.
I patiently shifted thro the pile till I spied a torn bag and a pepper popping out invitingly out of the torn flap.
I pulled it out and tasted it. It was hot but nothing great. I just put it in my pocket when no one was looking. (How bad of me?)

I am still having it labled as Arabic chilli.

Some pepperfreaks...:lol:

NJA

ps,

But I did buy nuts and dates from there.:lol:

I've been tempted to pinch peppers off bushes in nurseries for a try but have so far been able to control myself! hahah

origamiRN said:
And btw, we are called seed whores.
I find the term 'seed whore' quite derogatory. It doesn't quite seem to express that it's really a labour of love. I feel more like I'm fucking for my flag with a big fat smile on my face ;)

Back