• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Snipping buds/flowers

Hey All

First post and hoping for some guidance, advice.

I have read through as many posts as I can find relating to this and obviously it is something that has no exact science.

I will be growing peppers at an elevation of 650 meters in Panama with daytime temps of 24-30 and night time temps of 14-20 Celcius year round, wet season is May to November and dry season almost exclusively sun December to April, in the foothills of an old volcanic range. I will be using pots from 5 gallons to alomst 100 gallons and planting in the ground.

I tried a few fatalii last year and found they wanted to flower pretty much as soon as it was viable, I am not sure if this is because its a constant summer temperature up here or not. I chose to pick the buds and flowers off for as long as I could without going mad and the plants seemed to really enjoy this and vegetative growth was very strong, but that said they also tried to pump out more and more buds, until I gave up :)

By then they were about 3-4 feet tall and over the next few months they produced approx 1000 peppers each I would guess. As fast as I picked them they pumped out more. Until half way through the dry season they kinda gave up, I cut them back and wills ee if they come again now the wet season has started, they dont look too happy but we will see.

Now I have seedlings for apporx 40 varieties and I know each has its own specific way of growing etc but want to ask a general question in reagrds to snipping of the flowers.

Taking into consideration the growing season is kind of endless, will picking the flowers and buds off usually result in a bigger plant overall? Or will it just mean the plant is wasting time and nutrients constantly trying to produce more buds. I guess what I want to know is how can I get the plants to grow to their full potential and possibly beyond and will early flowering prohibit this. I will be experiemnting with both options for sure, as well as pruninning and topping experiments, as in truth you only know how local variables with effect the plant by trying. But would really appreciate any feedback on this, possibly from someone who grows in a similar climate.

I guess that is it for now.
Thanks All

It sounds like you have the advantage of year round growing. And in your area, I'm sure pepper plants of all varieties happily live out their perennial lives. That being said, the true ingredient to HUGE plants is... time.

If you want massive plants, don't look to just one season to provide it for you. Patience and happy plants will result in large plants every time. I feel like you may be worrying about a difference which would prove insignificant after two years. OH, and bigger root area (large pots or in the ground, as you mentioned you were doing) will help a LOT.

Just my opinion

WELCOME TO THP!!

mrgg*

ps: If you want tall plants, cut bottom laterals off (though, laterals do help build trunk support for the overall plant weight). If you want squat bushy plants, top only the top half of the plant.

pps: Also, some pepper varieties grow bigger than others.

Thanks for the input. Time I have. What I have noticed here is everything grows about 3 times faster than what I am used too. Will be interesting to see how fast and big these peppers get with plenty of love and attention.

Your climate is more tropical than mine, but I can tell you right now, that in 6 months time, you will know that you never have to ask this question again.

For you, pinching the buds may not be necessary at all, because if your plant is growing too fast, or is too small to support the bud, it will abort, in most cases.  By the time I've branched out for the second time, I just let the plant do what it wants to do.  I think that pinching buds off is much more important when all of the variables are not in place for quick growth.  I.e., weather still not quite warm enough, indoors, etc...

Thanks...good to know, I will do a couple for the sake of experimenting, but if indeed your right that is a lot of time saved :)

Back