• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So, how big...

Need to find some infomation. How tall do purira, pequin(I know it's just a general name meaning small/bushy, but I think we all know the pepper I'm reffering too), and Bolivian Rainbow Cilli grow.

I have a plant from last year that's been wintered and it's 9 inches tall, which seems kinda small.

Also, how tall do Jalapeno plants usually get? Bacause I have two plants from last year that survived and they are 40 inches tall...

:)

Ok, I looked on thechileman's database(why didn't I think of this before) and turns out puriria's grow to be about 18-24 inches and the Bolivian Rainbow grows 2-3 feet.

This worries me because my plant(Rainbow) from last year is only 9 inches tall. It's in a large pot with great dirt iin full sun. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this plant's so small?

Also, I still can't find info on the pequin(I think it's an Odham Indian Pequin).

Those Bolivians are tough plants to grow for some reason. I have only successfully grown those once out of 4 attempts. They either turn out to be runts that never produce peppers or I get no germination at all.

I see what you mean on the rainbows I've grown them too, and had some colder wheater than usual. All those outside never got bigger than about 10cm. But one lucky one inside, with a south facing window is now about 80cm high and totally loaded with peppers. At least a hundred present at the moment. So in my case I don't know if it's just coincidence or some bad seeds, but from 38 seeds I only got one plant. The outside plants after bringing indoors didn't grow and died off, although they got warmth and light. So I don't exactly know what's going on whith your plant there. But I've experienced the same slow growing rainbows. Ow and if you'd like a new start to see if that helps, just pm me, if got loads of isolated seeds I can send you.
Greetings
Remi

From my one and only succesfull plant I've harvested loads of seeds(isolated) and planted some for some friends of mine. These turned out to be a great succes, after 70 days from seed it began flowering and a few days later it was growing peppers. Very healthy and bushy looking plants too. Could it be that perhaps these seeds die off quickly and the fresher is better? No idea if this is true but I've never had any problems with my 2nd gen Bolivian Rainbows, in fact few weeks ago I sowed some extra ones and they are doing great too
P_Schneider said:
Those Bolivians are tough plants to grow for some reason. I have only successfully grown those once out of 4 attempts. They either turn out to be runts that never produce peppers or I get no germination at all.

Remos said:
Ow and if you'd like a new start to see if that helps, just pm me, if got loads of isolated seeds I can send you.
Thanks, but I'll have to pass, I've reached my limit of pepper plant space for the moment. I already have started new seeds for thge Rainbows this year(that are about 6 inches tall) so I'll see how those go...

It couuld be taht the seeds have a short shelf life, never thought about that one...

"imaguitargod said:
[quote name="]
I have no idea if there is any truth to it, but could be!
I've read a lot of story's about White Bullet Habanero also, the fresher the better, fresh seeds with 100% germination. But my seeds about a half year old were a real pain to germinate, in fact the thoughest on my growing list. sown dozens, only got 3 or 4 plants now. So perhaps some do die away earlier than others

P_Schneider said:

I'm surprised, Bolivian Rainbows have always been easy and very productive for me. Temp and light levels will affect growth.

I would also check the Ph of your soil....ideal range is 6.5 to 7.0

I agree with Willard, I have found Boilvian Rainbow very easy to germinate and a rapid grower. 2 to 3ft is in optimum growing conditions although I have found 18 to 24 in to be more of the norm particular here in the UK (we don't enjoy the nice weather many of you guys do inthe states)

Willard is more of an expert on Purira than me. I know he has a 7 or 8 yaers old plant. Hows that for successful oevrwintering!!

Mark

Ya I don't know. I have Firecrackers, which look to be just about the same thing, grow great year after year but not the Bolivians. Maybe I should dump my seed and get a fresh start or maybe I am just not in the right climate for those. All my other varieties grow fine. It's really the only pepper I've had trouble growing out of the 20+ varieties I've tried my hand at.

Pequins can get to be at least 1.5 meters-a little taller than 4 feet because I have one that has been overwintered 3 years and has been cut back at least a foot to two each spring. It is right now 134 cm tall and just starting to really get growing because the birds ate all the new growth off of it in Feb and again in April.

Back