• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

So i sprayed my plants....fck

i had a whitefly infestation on a certain portion of the the property. I sprayed a mixture of dish soap and neem oil a few days ago and sort of wish i hadn't. The plants leaves are still green but sort of turned a light brown. I hope they will bounce back but maybe not.....anyone know why this happened?

FROG DOG said:
i had a whitefly infestation on a certain portion of the the property. I sprayed a mixture of dish soap and neem oil a few days ago and sort of wish i hadn't. The plants leaves are still green but sort of turned a light brown. I hope they will bounce back but maybe not.....anyone know why this happened?

Have you made this mixture before ?? If you haven't did you use the right levels of each and was the dishwashing liquid a biodegradable ?? I knoe a lot of people who have gone to make there own mixtures and used super concentrates and stuffed the levels because of it or used a harsh non -biodegradable version.... I think I done it to my plants too not long ago, most went a mottled brown colour under the leaves.. Plants started drooping and going to shit, some I managed to just work through by picking off bad leaves and waiting it out, others I had to cut back harshly because they were going down hill..

I second the question of have you made this mix before and what did you use to make it? A bit more specific as to which brands you used would be helpful.

Pics would also help immensely.

I think that if you did nothing different except to spray them with your concoction you should be fine. Just let it work itself out.

Was the application done right before dusk? Whats the age of the plants? and what was the concentration of mix? Best questions I can think of at the moment  :drunk: . I almost never use pesticides full strength organic or other. Unless I'm doing a 15 minute soak and rinsing them with plain water. When using dish soap I would only use Dawn, two drops per gallon. I prefer to use SM-90 over dish soap as a wetting agent+, but the stuff is very pricey here. I imagine it would cost as much as a condo on the southside in Hawaii.

Oh, and also I would get them out of the direct sun for a few days and foliar spray with plain water frequently to help dilute whats going on if possible.

If you sprayed them while the sun was out (or even at dawn) it is possible that they have mild sunscald. Liquid remaining on leaves acts much like a magnifying lens, intensifying the sunlight in the spots where the liquid is and, hence, burning the leaves. If that's the case don't worry about it as the new growth will be fine. Ideally water your plants shortly before the sun goes down or early enough that the water will evaporate before the sun comes up.

All the other questions, plus this:

The only soap I would ever use is castile (Dr. Bronners). Can be found pretty much anywhere and is the usual stuff called for with a neem mix.

Also I would go no more than 1-2ml soap + up to 5ml neem per liter of water.

I know that doesn't help your current problems, but at least for future reference.

Finally anything that flies is better treated with sticky traps. I think it's called tangle foot or tangle root, and you just spread it onto colored plastic cards and hang them or stake them near your plants.

Back