• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

So is this normal for this time of year?

I just picked my last 4 Orange Habs and Red jalapenos got a few more green ones and noticed today all the leaves are falling off all my plants I have never grew Pepper plants for more then one season before (all ways just let them die off during the winter), Wanted these to be the 1st to grow for more then a year. Is the a normal seasonal thing? All I did different is  put a 16-16-16 on them a few weeks ago, Plants have been producing all summer really well.

oh_zps1a0baecc.jpg

pep_zps1f0b0a74.jpg

jal_zpsf1ccaafb.jpg

It did get kinda cold a few days ago but then jumped right back up into the 100's   The Habs have done this before but grew all new leaves not sure what to do.

Not normal for this time of year for your area (I lived in Torrance for a while.) When you say it got "kinda cold", what kinda cold? I am now in N.E. Ohio and it's getting down to the 40's at night. I just brought my Congo Trinidads into the house today, and they were difficult to get through the doorway because they are very bushy and full of leaves and pods. I seriously doubt it's that cold where you are at. 

If you look at the top pic, you can see die-back at the tops of the stems, so something is definitely wrong. I am thinking a wilt of some kind. Here's a link to a decent guide that you can look at to see what it most closely resembles. http://www.seminis.com/global/us/growerresources/Pages/Disease-Guides.aspx

I'll take a look, too, but I'm not feeling well so may not post again until the morning.

I had the same thing happen to my pepperoncinis. After they produced, they seemed to quit and start dying. I cut them back to see if they would generate new growth, but they didn't respond. So this past weekend, I gave them a tiny yank, and the plant came right out of the soil.... no root ball left. It looked like they got root rot

Could be nematodes, Phil. Gargoyle, there isn't much left of that hab, so I'd recommend you pull it out and take a good look at the roots and base of the stem, too. Any chance you've been overwatering them, or even just too much rain? Could be a soil fungus if it's been too wet for too long.

geeme said:
Could be nematodes, Phil. Gargoyle, there isn't much left of that hab, so I'd recommend you pull it out and take a good look at the roots and base of the stem, too. Any chance you've been overwatering them, or even just too much rain? Could be a soil fungus if it's been too wet for too long.

I used a different raised bed soil this year now that you mention it. It really Drys out on top but stays moist (Not soaked) underneath  but my Moringa trees are not doing so hot either (I used the same soil)it maybe retaining to much moister -But I don't get it,I dig down it's moist not wet..

u_zps0ae1831f.jpg

Phil said:
I had the same thing happen to my pepperoncinis. After they produced, they seemed to quit and start dying. I cut them back to see if they would generate new growth, but they didn't respond. So this past weekend, I gave them a tiny yank, and the plant came right out of the soil.... no root ball left. It looked like they got root rot

This is probably what happened, tug on the worst of the bunch and see how easily they pull up since (at least) the worst aren't going to be very productive for a long time if they survive.  Then again you never know, or at least we don't, if you might have a hostile neighbor that goes around spraying weed killer on things.

How much 16-16-16?
Actually looks more like root damage or borer of some type compared to over fert.
The hab looks done but the jalapeno might survive if you cut it back some.
You got any neighborhood dogs in the area? I've lost other types of plants thanks to the lifted leg of my dog.

The big problem we have from this side is not being able to see what led up to this state. Effectively, we're only guessing. You can pull up the hab and see if it has root knots or even critters still feeding on them, and/or what kind of condition they're in, in general. If it's not too bad, you might try a good soaking with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water a few times - here's a guide: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html  - - - use the amounts in the lower chart on that page.

Slight tug... no more. If it holds, stop yanking. That's not your problem. Mine came up with very little effort.

Actually, I'd still recommend pulling it up. If a slight tug doesn't get it, use a shovel around it then gently remove as much dirt as possible so you can see what's really going on with the roots. That hab is pretty  much done for the season unless you can determine the true problem and fix it, so might as well. Note that pulling it up doesn't necessarily mean the end of the plant. I grow in pots and part of my overwinter process is to pull the plants out of their pots, prune the roots and stems, then repot with fresh soil. If you dig it up and find the roots are fine, pot it and give it an H2O2 bath a few times and see what happens. 

may be too much ferts, could be osmosis pulling the water out of the plant..
i killed some of my best plant recently..i watered them with a plant pot saucer(or whatever they are called) that i had left outside and had filled up with rainwater.
I believe there must have been salts etc left on the dish from having plants sit on it and be watered/fertilized. Will never do that again...

anyway too much ferts = too much salts in the soil =  the soil pulls all the water out of the plant via osmosis

That hab's aura is obviously out of alignment.

Here's a useful guide to draw energy from a higher realm into the energy field of your plant.

That link is aimed at humans, but I guarantee you that it will be just as effective on plants as it is on people.

I gave them a tug and they seem well rooted so i think I'm going to pull and pot them- The Habs have new leave growth so I should be able to save them must have been the fertilizer, I only threw a handful on each plant :(.

most of my hard ferts of a similar strength specify about a handful per square meter of ground. so a handful concentrated around each plants base is probably excessive.

Back