• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So many peppers so little time/space

Hello

I'm planning for next year's outdoor growing season.  I got a grow tent to get my seedlings nice and strong before replanting outdoors.  Now the trick is to pick what I'm growing.  I'm focused on flavor first.  I also have a tendency to just snack on these peppers or just cut them over my food.  Not that my tolerance is bad but given how hot super hots can be I would say I'm not trained in the art of how to consume super hots.

Here's what I grew last year in order of my favorite to least favorite.
  1. Fatalii
  2. Lemon Drop
  3. Primo Yellow
  4. Aji Ominicolor
  5. Thai Giant Orange
  6. Bishops Crown

Due to growing space and limited time to eat the bountiful fruit some of these put out, I have to narrow the list of what to grow next year down to 5-8 max.  Here's a list of the ones I've been thinking about growing in alphabetical order:
  • Aji Brazilian Starfish
  • Aji Cachucha 
  • Aji Fantasy
  • Aji Jobito
  • Aji Lemon
  • Aji Limo Rojo
  • Aji Pineapple
  • Alma Paprika
  • Bahamian Goats
  • Bhut Orange Copenhagen
  • CGN 21500
  • Cherry Bomb Pepper
  • Cumari do Para
  • Datil
  • Mazanos
  • MOA Scotch Bonnets
  • Murupi Amarela
  • Paper Latern
  • Pink Habanero
  • Rocoto
  • SBJ7 
Any recommendations on which to start with or additional strains I should consider?  Also anyone have a good source for trusted seeds for the ones you recommend growing?

Thanks

Sergeant Pepper said:

I'm focused on flavor first.  I also have a tendency to just snack on these peppers or just cut them over my food. 

I really like Brazilian Starfish and Aji Guyana for that sort of thing. 

Bahamian Goat, CGN21500, MoA Bonnet, and Paper Lantern habanero all have very good flavor. The CGN seemed to me to be the mildest of the four, and the Paper Lantern hab has the most toned-down chinense flavor. I think they are all quite good. But If I had to recommend only one, I might lean a little towards the Bahamian Goat.

For pubescens types, I like Aji Oro Rocoto and Rocoto Montufar

You might also consider Antep Aci Dolma. It is a Bell-type pepper with Jalapeno level heat. Pretty versatile in the kitchen.

You can find plenty of good seed vendors in the Vendor Vault here. 

I absolutely recommend the CGN 21500 as well. My growing experience is very limited, but that's one I love the flavor of and intend to keep growing, despite replacing most of the other varieties I have in the currently winding down season.

Bahamian goat is one I've heard nothing but good things about and would really love to grow, so while I can't recommend it on experience, it seems like a good bet.

BlackFatalii said:
You might also consider Antep Aci Dolma. It is a Bell-type pepper with Jalapeno level heat. Pretty versatile in the kitchen.

THIS is am awesome-looking pepper. Another one I've seen well-reviewed that just sounds incredible.

Back