• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

So much rain my DWC hydrobucket overflowed

I woke up this morning to 1.5 inches of standing water on the ground around my plants, and my DWC hydro 5 gallon bucket overflowing.

It was pretty funny watching the hydroton floating and my plant dangling 100% fine sideways out of the pot.

Next idea.. use growing medium that does not float.

I liked the idea/design tonly had with the barb fitting at the bottom and a hose up to the water level desired in his video. Surely the water would just overflow out if it was that design.
Is yours different, or was it the same but it couldn't handle the rainfall volume?
Asking because rainfall in winter is my biggest problem everything gets too wet, too water logged.
Chillies grow fine here in winter, but with me, where ever sunny is also out in the rain, so my chillies in soil filled pots get too wet and die in winter (doesn't get below 5C here in winter, just wet).

Edit: VVVV outdoor plants in pots even in potting mix get trashed with heaps of rain. Dilutes nutrients or floods roots in soil and no decent sun to dry it out, same outcome.

I woke up this morning to 1.5 inches of standing water on the ground around my plants, and my DWC hydro 5 gallon bucket overflowing.

It was pretty funny watching the hydroton floating and my plant dangling 100% fine sideways out of the pot.

Next idea.. use growing medium that does not float.

I've always wondered what people with outdoor DWC buckets do in your situation. The cleanup alone must be bad, but the rain water also dilutes your nutrient solution.

I never thought of trimming the hose on the side... duh... stupid me... my measuring hose on the side I left long because when the buckets were starting out I was moving them full and water was pouring all over the floor in the house so I extended the water level hose on the side above the bucket lid.

I wasn't thinking of it as a dual purpose hose.

Its a rare occurance.. I am looking now at a rubber gromit seal or something that will cover the hydroton area from external stuff getting in.

I'm sure my PH/Nutes will be off tonight. It actually got really sunny out.

Back