• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum So what is the best jalapeno?

When i was a kid dad always grew Early and Jalapeno M....(I think). As best i can remember they were very consistent on heat and flavor. The Early Jalapenos im growing this year are very tasty but production seems to be lacking and they are next to other plants that are doing fine.

In contrast the Mammoths, Goliaths and Gigantes i grew the last 2 years were very prolific but i was underwhelmed by the flavor and near total lack of heat. The words dull and bland come to mind. Around here it seems those varieties are the ones most commonly sold in stores too because they are just flavorless and somewhat large too..

Ive read that the Billy Bikers are fantastic and Mucho Nacho take a very close second place. Next year i want a hot jalapeno with a good yield and the excellent jalapeno flavor i remember as a kid.

I have tried a decent number of jalapeno varieties over the years including the ones you listed, and I have settled on "Tajin jalapeno hybrid" as my favorite by far!  It has incredible vigor and production as well as possessing high heat... full on excellent flavor... thick crispy /juicy walls, corked skin (desired) and ripen to red relatively quickly (desired).

I have been growing NuMex Vaquero for the last few years with great results. Vigorous, hardy plant; seems immune to BLS; super productive; lots of flavor and heat. 
     If flavor and heat are the top concerns, try to track down some of the landrace seeds that CAPCOM was so graciously giving away a few years ago. I lost mine (I'm an idiot), otherwise I'd hook you up. Those were really something!

edit: Vaqueros are not hybrid, so I could send you a bunch of seed when I get some ripe ones in a few weeks. Remind me and they'll be in the mail.

Heat and flavor are at the top of my list.
Yield is a close second
Early turning to red would be a huge plus for making hot sauce. Ive had huge problems getting any to turn red for at least the last 2 years.

Hybrid

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I have been growing NuMex Vaquero for the last few years with great results. Vigorous, hardy plant; seems immune to BLS; super productive; lots of flavor and heat. 
     If flavor and heat are the top concerns, try to track down some of the landrace seeds that CAPCOM was so graciously giving away a few years ago. I lost mine (I'm an idiot), otherwise I'd hook you up. Those were really something!

edit: Vaqueros are not hybrid, so I could send you a bunch of seed when I get some ripe ones in a few weeks. Remind me and they'll be in the mail.
I would love to have a few seeds when you get some if you wouldn't mind, they sound really good.

wrinklenuts said:
I can't wait to grow cracked jalapenos from pepperlover next year. I've heard they rock.
Cracked Jalapeno has been a really great one for me.  I'm growing 5 or 6 varieties of jalapeno and this one is probably my favorite.  Large, flavorful, hot pods, and good productivity.  My other favorite is just plain old Burpee jalapeno.  They've been really productive and just a solid jalapeno.

wrinklenuts said:
I can't wait to grow cracked jalapenos from pepperlover next year. I've heard they rock.
 Those look good and available too.

[SIZE=12pt]The conclusion was this particular Jalapeños variety has distinctive characteristics such as being very hot, sweeter, and crunchiest, last longer on the plant, and darker in color (both stages red and green). But what really surprised us the cracking pods started to develop when maturing; all pods in this Jalapeños variety had beautiful rusty cracking it was a sing of extra heat, flavor. If you are looking for the true authentic taste of jalapeno, this is your choice. [/SIZE]

Have a bunch of the mucho nacho type in this year. They seem to do pretty where i'm at. I like the flavor and heat. Most get around 4" long, and as big around as a fifty cent piece. Not to sure how they compare to say a biker billy. Going to try the farmer's type from pepper lover next year.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Hey Morgan, i tried to send you a pm but i guess your inbox is full, anyway i could jump on this bandwagon and get some seeds for this when they are ready? Most of my biker billies and muchos have or are dying so i figured it might be time to start over with new seeds for next year and those sound pretty good.  I will send you anything i have in return or a prepaid envelope or whatever. If not no big deal at all, thanks

Back