• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

So what would it cost to grow one hot pepper plant start to finish?

I was asked by a dear friend of mine the above question because I am going over the top on this years garden. I'm putting down here what I think I need from start to finish.

1.) the seed, but this great website got me a whole lot of free to nearly free seeds.

2.) the oasis rootcube to start the seed in

3.) water that is nearly nothing unless I would use RO water.

4.) I'm in Pennsylvania so I need indoor plant lights T5's for seedlings, right?

5.) the transplant pots rootcube to 3 inch square pot to 5 & 1/2 inch pot

6.) electricity for the light and the fan to blow on the leaves.

7.) the fan mentioned in # 6.)

8.) fertilizer

9.) drip irrigation?

10.) would I put my own labor in as a cost? I love growing these so it's making me healthy that way and many other ways.

11.) I'll think of more because the NyQuil I drank is starting to put me down.

Thanks everyone!

I'm also in PA and I use T8s for my seedlings.  They're been working pretty well so far.  They're good enough to get them to where they can be transplanted outside but probably not enough to have to them fruit.  Cost me about 18 each for 2 fixtures and 20 dollars for 4 6500K bulbs cause i bought them in packs of 2.

As people have mentioned, a cost-per-plant is specific to the method by with you grow your plants.

Last years I used nothing but cheap seeds, potting soil (about 7-10 USD worth) and a 3 USD liquid fertilizer for a bunch of plants. no lights, and everything else I aquired for free.

Using similar methods this year, I can give the following estimate per plant:
Soil: 7 USD
fertilizer: 4 USD
water: free
electricity: none
plants: varying sizes, but between 5-8

Cost per plant: ~2 USD (excluding seed cost and one-time investments (pots and alike))

Back