• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Soak Plugs??

I am using rapid rooter type plugs do I need to soak these before starting? If so in what? Hoping to hear from someone who uses them.

I would just dunk the plug into warm (about 80 degrees) purified water for about 5 seconds. It should soak up the water, then plant the seed. I hand water them (same as described) every night now that they have sprouted.

I would just dunk the plug into warm (about 80 degrees) purified water for about 5 seconds. It should soak up the water, then plant the seed. I hand water them (same as described) every night now that they have sprouted.

Thanks I went back and forth over what to use between seedling mix and plugs. I decided on the plugs simply for ease of use. Do you water from underneath also ?

I've used grodan gro block cubs and they work great. However since they are 100% rockwool they require you soak them in a solution with a pH of 5.5 so I use some pH down in my water first. Then rense and use. They are expensive, but you plant directly into the 1.5" cube and then put that cube into the 4" cube. They get huge before you need to plant them up and the roots you develop are HUGE.

I used to bottom water. Now I physically take each cube out of the tray and roll it in warm water (not the seedling), for about 10 seconds. It will soak up enough water to be good. Also, you have a much less chance of mold/mildew/other standing water issues.

I used to bottom water. Now I physically take each cube out of the tray and roll it in warm water (not the seedling), for about 10 seconds. It will soak up enough water to be good. Also, you have a much less chance of mold/mildew/other standing water issues.

So no bottom water over the course of the germination process ?

Back