• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Soaking seeds overnight

Soaking seeds overnight can help speed up germination, yeah? Should I soak all my seeds overnight before sowing or just certain varieties?

Also, what is optimal water temp conditions? Warm, cool or just room temp water?

And lastly, any secret ingredients to add to the water?

Certain varieties do better with soaking than others, some i believe you HAVE to soak. Temperature should be room temp (providing your room isn't icy cold or sauna hot) and secret additions include but are not limited to- weak camomile tea and vitamin c (ascorbic acid?).

Hope this helps bud.

Novacastrian said:
Certain varieties do better with soaking than others, some i believe you HAVE to soak. Temperature should be room temp (providing your room isn't icy cold or sauna hot) and secret additions include but are not limited to- weak camomile tea and vitamin c (ascorbic acid?).

Hope this helps bud.

Cheers man

Any ideas what the chamomile tea and vitamin c does?

soften the outer shell of the seed ?

tea = tannic?? acid
vitamin c = ascorbic acid

i read here in THP that you can also use a weak vinegar(acetic acid) also.

srin2 said:
soften the outer shell of the seed ?

tea = tannic?? acid
vitamin c = ascorbic acid

i read here in THP that you can also use a weak vinegar(acetic acid) also.

ah, to soften the outer shell... makes sense

Hmmm... as i dont have any camomile tea or vitamin c on hand, i guess vinegar it is

just to clarify... what's 'weak'?

tea is good for disease and other seed ailments too i hear. if you don't have cam tea you can use black tea too. just make a cup of any black tea, drink it or whatever, then make another cup with the same bag and you'll have "weak" tea. i did that with all mine and had great results. although it could be the seeds were great too...

dunno about weak vinegar solution tho.

ashrikala said:
tea is good for disease and other seed ailments too i hear. if you don't have cam tea you can use black tea too. just make a cup of any black tea, drink it or whatever, then make another cup with the same bag and you'll have "weak" tea. i did that with all mine and had great results. although it could be the seeds were great too...

dunno about weak vinegar solution tho.

Black tea too aye? Got some of that here...

Think I might try a weak tea solution on one lot of seeds and a weak vinegar solution on another lot of the same seeds and see what happens...

gasificada said:
ah, to soften the outer shell... makes sense

Hmmm... as i dont have any camomile tea or vitamin c on hand, i guess vinegar it is

just to clarify... what's 'weak'?

i think a teaspoon of 5% acetic acid (vinegar) to about a litter of water.

extract from other website
"soak seeds overnight in a pint of warm water with 1/2 cup vinegar and a squirt of liquid dish soap. Plant the seeds as normal. "

"soak seeds overnight in a pint of warm water with 1/2 cup vinegar and a squirt of liquid dish soap. Plant the seeds as normal. "

Metric that's about 570 ml(pint) and 125 ml (1/2 C) = roughly 4:1 water/vinegar

I've had extremely well germination rates by soaking the seeds for 24 hours in 1 quart of room temperature drinking water with 3 drops of Superthrive.

Back