• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Soaking Seeds

I am getting ready to jump form impulse speed to warp 1 on sowing seeds
I discovered that my middle room gets plenty of warmth an light so my 8 Red Moa's & the 2 Arkansas Peach Reapers are in there with hopefully if they germinate Aji Penec (Possible Hybrid with ether Aji Melocoton or An Brazilian Starfish)
So the grow chamber is good to go for more plants as well as room in my middle room for one more smaller grow chamber
Now for the for question I have always had mixed results with soaking seeds ether plain water or camomile tea solution I know some do a black tea solution & I was wondering about a peppermint tea solution?
I actually had the same or better results geminating without soaking but it does take care of helmet head for me.

Well we made an experiment in a german forum. If the seeds are new, it doesnt matter in which liquid you soak them.

But when they are older, the best solutions are 1-2 % "HNO3"  or "distilled water". Some wild seeds can take advantage of "guano".

Personally i use distilled water for older or harder/bigger seeds (like Jalapenos, Paprika, Roccotos) and soak them for 48 Hours. Fresh or little seeds (like the most chinense varieties) let i only soak as long as they need to sink on the ground of the water

I've never soaked a single seed.
So far so good. If i've backups for helmet heads i just give em a couple days to recover gently spraying water on the seed case then if nothing happens i throw them away (they often produce weak plants in my experience). Ever plant more than you need and you'll be fine.

Good luck

Datil

Soak'em in peroxide for 2 min,then rinse well and do what you do from there
Peroxide kills nasties and softens the shell,theyll pop for you

TNKS said:
Soak'em in peroxide for 2 min,then rinse well and do what you do from there
Peroxide kills nasties and softens the shell,theyll pop for you
Do you soak them after this procedure or sow them directly?

No ,2 min in the peroxide and into towels or dirt
It works,what else can I say ?
Its paramount on long fruit like reaper/primo

TNKS said:
No ,2 min in the peroxide and into towels or dirt
It works,what else can I say ?
Its paramount on long fruit like reaper/primo
Maybe i will try to combine your method and mine and do some testing :-)

How many % does the peroxide have? In normal stores here they just have 3 %, i guess thats too low.

Back