• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Soft white cfls ok for starting seedlings?

I used daylight cfls my first year cool white my second but ended up getting soft white 2500K color temp bulbs this year. The cool whites worked good will the 2500k soft white be ok as well?

I have a bunch of differnt temp lights and I've found that the 6500K temp (daylight) to do the best job. I have a soft white right now as well but I only use it in conjunction with another daylight type as I've found it just doesn't promote growth quite the same. If you're just using it for the time being to get things going you should still be fine though.

What's the wattage/lumens of the light you currently have? And do you have your plants exposed to natural light as well?

I have been using 'Daylight' bulb now for 3 years with great results. In fact, my grow room is only lit by these bulbs and my plants do not see natural light until they start getting hardened off. As long as you keep the lights 1-2" to the plants you'll be fine and your plants will be loving you.

Pepperfreak said:
I have been using 'Daylight' bulb now for 3 years with great results. In fact, my grow room is only lit by these bulbs and my plants do not see natural light until they start getting hardened off. As long as you keep the lights 1-2" to the plants you'll be fine and your plants will be loving you.

You mean with daylight if i keep them close my plants will love me or with the 2500k bulbs I have?

You can always change the kelvins with gels.

thehotpepper.com said:
You can always change the kelvins with gels.

If the 2500k will not grow seedlings well then I will return them. It's just that i needed 3 bulbs and 2 daylight are the same price as 3 soft white. So I have to buy 4 and it will be double the price.

I used a 105 watt CFL over one tomato plant in a 13" pot - the internode length was about 1/4 in, But the temps were really cool in the room. It was a 5K bulb.

Mike

Back