• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil soil compacting, what to do

I have extremely clay soil, it drys out very fast and compacts like crazy, hard crust on top etc.

anywho, i have a big problem with my root zones of my plants become restricted resulting in smaller plants, any idea what i can do now (plants in dirt and growing) to help?

I amend my soil every year

How big are your plants? Is there any way you could increase the size of your planting holes and add some manure and peat moss?

011.JPG

017.JPG

020.JPG

here are some recent pics, i have been pulling all these dreadfull weeds. the pics show pretty good how bad the soil is.

I added this year 1 - 2 yards of compost, some bagged chips in the soil and using it on top for weed prevention (not done yet). I think my best option is to dig around the plants and mix in some more castings, coffee grounds and organic matter.

Hammerfall said:
add sand and you could add wood chunk it will help
Careful with amending clay with sand. There's a technique and ratio that needs to be achieved ( lots of sand, google search for the technique). Long story short, if you don't add the right amount of sand, the soil will be even less porous and worse than it was before.

Or you can amend it with tons more organic material. I did it with lots and lots of composted manure, some more leaves + more Pine bark fines. A little bit of sapwood in the pine bark is ok btw. I may be wrong, but tree-leaves alone may not do it, and might make it more "clay-like".

It takes years but it does work, and will permanently change your soil for the better. My father did it this way too, he was the one who taught me. He would use compost manure in the spring, and truck in slightly more raw manure in the autumn. He no longer has to do that btw.

Seems like you have decent looking clay soil as a foundation though (almost permanent supply of certain minerals + sillicates), it just takes a few years + labor to work it up.

Edit: added more info.

I would not use sand or wood chips IN the soil.

Coarce compost, perlite, peat, and verm would fluff it right up.

Putting wood chips on the top of the soil would help over time. From what I hear, layering the top of soil every year with wood chips creates a nice active humus.that will break down clay.

In the fall you can plant lots of legumes and root vegetables that will help to till the soil for you. The legumes will also attract beneficial mycos that will fix nitrogen. Your on the right track by putting the top mulch of wood chips on there, just keep adding to it every year.

Ixnay the sand, you are more likely to end up with concrete. I use composted hardwood mulch, which I can get for cheap. It isn't completely broken down, but it has a big head start on raw wood chips. Your options are limited with plants already in the ground. Top dress with a thin layer of manure and/or worm castings and/or top quality compost then cover with 2-3 inches of mulch. Try not to walk on the soil. Water less frequently, but water deeply. With the mulch on there you won't have to worry about evaporation. If your soil is acidic you can add a little lime, which will help break up the clay. Be careful not to raise the pH too much though, since peppers like it a little bit on the acid side.

In the fall, gently work the organic matter into the soil with a garden fork and top up the mulch. By next spring you should have some pretty good soil. Red clay is a fantastic base material, it just needs a little TLC to bring out its best characteristics.

Iiwy, I'd undig 1 plant make the hole 3 times bigger (think big bucket) fill of compost and put the plant back...

Observe for a week - if all is well, leather, rinse, repeat with the others

Al

compost, compost, compost....

i have similar soil where i live and last year i battled BER on my tomatoes and struggled to keep the ground from baking into bricks. in October i layered 6 yards of mushroom compost, about 6" deep and tilled in. i actually never tilled this spring because my soil was still very loose down 8-10". i have already noticed this season that the top will dry out and form a crust but i can dig down just an inch with my hand and it is still moist.

you may want to mulch heavily this season and amend with tons of compost/organic material this fall/winter.

best of luck

"Careful with amending clay with sand. There's a technique and ratio that needs to be achieved ( lots of sand, google search for the technique). Long story short, if you don't add the right amount of sand, the soil will be even less porous and worse than it was before."

Absolutely true. It will become in a sense concrete!

Back