• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil soil for a beginner

FFOF IS REALLY GOOD STUFF.NOW IF YOU DONT ALREADY KNOW YOU WONT BE NEEDING ANY FERTS FOR AWHILE.

And make sure your water is chlorine free!

non softened water left to air out the chlorine? overnight? 24-48hrs? 
how long to adequately vent the chlorine?

I germinated in red cups with plastic bags over the top and I'm having excellent germination rates less than 2 weeks in. I do have a heat mat and a T5 light (light doesn't matter for germination but it helps with daytime heat). I used Black Gold organic potting mix with added perlite in a 5:1 potting soil:perlite ratio.

I've used FFOF growing other things and it worked well.

Not sure why, but different people seem to have different results from different mixtures and products.  So I am going to say when you are starting out you should keep it simple.  Fox Farms is great if you can find it, but (cant believe I am going to say this), Miracle Grow seed starter is everywhere.  You let your water sit overnight an then dont worry about nutrients while they are seedlings. Later, the more comfortable you feel you start goofing with your own mix or better premades.  Never an all or nothing thing, just sort of feeling till you fall in love with one.

Back