• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil heating cable

So, I was in the feed & seed store right around the corner a few minutes ago looking for something to help with my yellowing White 7 Pod plant (ended up getting Ironite. Make up is AWESOME!!). Anyways, while I was there, I saw what was labled as a "soil heating cable." I didn't pull it out of the box, but I did open the box. I would guess that its maybe 25' long or so. They were selling it for about $100.
Anyone ever used one of these? If so, how did it work for you?

I was looking at them myself a few moths ago. Reading through the instructions it appears they work best to warm up a seedling bed. I'd love to rig up an outside seed starting/seedling setup and ditch the flouros and indoor starting mess completely.

I don't plan on buying one. I just thought it looked pretty neat. Someone on here used a waterbed heater to heat some sand, I believe. I just wondered how effective they are.

Not very effective at all. if ya hoe or work the ground ya have to worry about shorts. Stick with what works( like my buddy up there said)

If you want to go to that kind of reach look at the thermal wraps for outside pipes (if you have well water you'll know what I mean) Lowes has them up to 25 feet. That ones $25.......has a built in thermostat too.

If you Build a bench or a table to hold a seed or plant holding area you can use the heater to heat sand or bedding soil for your plants to sit on know of many green houses that have warming tables you also need a thermostat to control temperature. the heaters for pipes that have there own thermostats only come on at 34 * to keep pipes from freezing. nether one ment to go in the ground. if you want bulk heating tape you can by up to 500' in roll at most refrrigation wholsale houses, it's not cheap

Back