• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil soil mixing

just ordered 10 gallons split Perlite/Vermiculite, $37.00 bucks with shipping, deal no deal, did I get rapped? 2 cubic foot is 17 bucks at Home Depot plus I have tah waste gas tah get there.

6.43 dry gallons US equals 1 cu. foot, if that helps.

hmm, yeah I have .13333 cu ft in 1 gallon... so 1.3cu ft... so it's not the best deal, I got 4 cu ft of Perlite (or vermiculite, wish I could mix 2 cu ft of both) for $25 at Agway, oh well

wow.. wish there were some hydro stores around here lol.. we have some nurserys, and they charge out the @$$ for everything

Pearlite at the Hydro store is 4 cf for 14 bucks.
so I just ordered 1.5 cubic feet if I go by dry measure? I checked a pic if its sealed(says they are) then I got rapped 2 cubic feet for 35, if its the same bags in the pic. 1ea. 5 gallon bag of Sunshine brand Premium Horticultural grade Vermiculite(medium) and 1ea. 5 gallon bag of Sunshine brand Premium Horticurtural grade Perlite(coarse).

soo, yeah you did over all sorry to say it, even if you didn't get that really good price from a hydro store, the Agways around here which are not cheap still have the 4 cu ft for $25 like I stated above.. and yeah 10gallons is about 1.3 cu ft.. or close enough to 1.5, but it's still not 4 cu ft.. if they haven't shipped it yet ,I would say ask for a return, otherwise just learn from your mistakes, and go from there.. I spent tons of money on an LED light which is actually really good and I will use it, but I still ended up getting an HID kit.. 400w then realized I still needed a 600w HID kit for the size tent I have lol.. but oh well, I will make use of what I have, and not make the mistake again

I was considering buying Pro Mix BX for outdoor pots. I have approx 20-30 of them planned. I did however read certain things are not good mixed with Promix since it is soil-less. Here is what I planned on using but i am not sure if this will work.

Pro mix BX
Organic Bone Meal 5-9-0
Fish fertilizer 5-1-1
Gypsum for calcium/sulfur
Granulated Poultry Manure 4-4-2
Peat Moss for drainage.

Would these work together or would they be better suited with a soil based growing medium? Also is there anything else I would add to enhance the growing mix? Thanks!

I don't know if you need more peat moss since I think... 70-80% I think it says,is peat moss already (in the Promix Bx) and since the pots are outside I would assume at some point, it might hold too much water unless you can keep the rain out in between watering.. that's just what I would think..I personally would add more perlite for drainage, or pine chips or something with larger particles in them, and perlite is great, but I have been leaning towards other things after reading more about potting mixes and the fact that perlite essentially just takes up potential potting soil space, and to make it really increase the drainage a lot in a heavy soil medium, you need a lot of it, where as you can use a soil medium that drains better, and use perlite as well just to help it along, instead of relying on it as the main contributor for drainage.

and what other things did you hear that were not good to use with Promix Bx? just curious, I haven't looked up much about it besides what it is and what is in it.

but anyways, check this thread out, it's more along the lines of what your looking for and what I was talking about above. http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

Back