• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Soil or air temp?

Newbie hot pepper seed grower….

I bought all of my equipment before I found this site but I’m going to make do for this year.

I have some of my seeds and waiting some more to come in this week.

I have a 2’ x 4’ x 4’ grow tent with 4 x 4’ T5 lights. Also a 38” x 17” heat mat.

Once the seeds are germinated I’m trying to decide on the placement of the grow tent. If I put it in a little nook of the dining room the ambient temperature will be around 72 deg. If I put it in the basement the ambient temperature will be around 50 degrees.

Question, is it the soil temp or air temp that is more critical. If I place in the basement and keep the heat mat on them will I be OK?

Thanks!

Scott

From what I have learned it's soil temp that's the most important,I have my soil around 29c and I've had great success so far,hope this helps and good luck. :)

Newbie hot pepper seed grower….

I bought all of my equipment before I found this site but I’m going to make do for this year.

I have some of my seeds and waiting some more to come in this week.

I have a 2’ x 4’ x 4’ grow tent with 4 x 4’ T5 lights. Also a 38” x 17” heat mat.

Once the seeds are germinated I’m trying to decide on the placement of the grow tent. If I put it in a little nook of the dining room the ambient temperature will be around 72 deg. If I put it in the basement the ambient temperature will be around 50 degrees.

Question, is it the soil temp or air temp that is more critical. If I place in the basement and keep the heat mat on them will I be OK?

Thanks!

Scott
Soil temp is the most important! If you germ in the basement I suggest using a soil thermometer and a heat mat thermostat as I did! You will have a more stable temp

Once they sprout the air tem is important too. If using a tent or covered structure keep in mind the lights will let off heat too.

I have my heat mat upstairs and last night I put the following in:

Bhut Jolokia
Scorpion BT's
Chocolate Habaneros
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Caribbean Red Habaneros

I have 10 other varieties on order that hopefully will get here this week.

So much for only trying a few varieties this year as an experiment to see if I can get them to grow from seed! I’m not going to have enough garden space or grow tent space (small 2 x 4) for other garden plants! :think:

I’m going to set the grow tent up in the basement tonight, run the lights and see what the temperature is. That way I’ll see if I need to keep it upstairs.

Scott

Back