• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic šoil ph and organic compost

So I was reading online and found some information that kind of thru me off, first the page was sayinfg that the PH level has to be acidic, im not sure if that would b correct also it said that peppr plants dont like much compost material, well sense i found out that my pepper plants really dont like the soil I have i want to get some tips, and if this is correct or not

I use a compost rich soil and seem to have good results. Not to doubt you brotha, but I also have seen other people on this site
that have good results with compost rich soil. I would imagine all compost piles are different and some may be more beneficial than others.

I had a Pablano in a solo cup that grew 2 pods. I was curious why it was doing so well.
I had a layer of sunflower seeds composting at the bottom.

I have 2 55 gallon compost bins and this year plants 45ish all grew in very rich compost rich soil. My compost is mainly all veggie, fruit, coffee grounds, egg shells and a few other things that make it up. Every shovel full was deep black and mostly worms. I have pepper plants over 6 feet tall and many over 4 foot full of pods. So I can say compost material was fine for me.

Mine do best in slightly acidic soil. Compost is good BUT highly decayed compost can compact too much, while some types of compost with a lot of sugar and moisture in them will promote excessive bacteria growth until they have decayed enough. Best to mix in some high cellulose partially decayed and fairly dried out compost in with the more decayed compost... things like last season's pepper root hairs, moss, fine wood chips or untreated decayed mulch, pine needles, grass or seedless (dried/dead) weeds, even the shredded remains of last years pepper plants. When the soil mix is right it will start out a bit fluffy in the pot.

things like last season's pepper root hairs, moss, fine wood chips or untreated decayed mulch, pine needles, grass or seedless (dried/dead) weeds, even the shredded remains of last years pepper plants. When the soil mix is right it will start out a bit fluffy in the pot.

You just described my compost pile.
I have a endless supply of grass clippings fluffing my pile up. This is also a good way to farm up some mycos.

My main problem with grass clippings is if I put too much on at a time it mats down too much, if I don't turn them often they tend to mold more than the other stuff.

My main problem with grass clippings is if I put too much on at a time it mats down too much, if I don't turn them often they tend to mold more than the other stuff.

I turn mine about every 3-5 days and I do see a white substance that looks like ash(mold), but is that a bad thing, is it bad mold? I honestly don't know...

I have been using it for a few years now and haven't had a mold problem on my plants so I'm not too worried. What I like about Grass is, it's so fine making it compost very quickly ~30-40 days and it is ready to rock. like mentioned in JoynersHotPeppers's post, worms will speed up the process.

I think compost is like every thing else in life, in that you get out what you put in to it. If you neglect your pile you will have poor compost, If you put love and effort in to it,
it will be good stuff.

If you don't turn it, it will go anaerobic on you and turn into a nasty green goo.

^ Both the mold you saw and the nasty goo are bad, but they also break down the organic matter so it is a matter of how soon you need to use it. What I dislike most about the mold is it travels easily with a gust of wind, given a bit of rain to raise moisture levels, things in the vicinity will be attacked by it to a larger extent.

Don't believe everything you read.

If you don't turn it, it will go anaerobic on you and turn into a nasty green goo.

It needs to be moist as well or it won't cook properly. I am speaking of hot compost by the way. ;)
If you put grass or "greens" in it make sure to bury them in the center and turn every few days as nitrogen rich items will produce heat.

I have 2 55 gallon compost bins and this year plants 45ish all grew in very rich compost rich soil. My compost is mainly all veggie, fruit, coffee grounds, egg shells and a few other things that make it up. Every shovel full was deep black and mostly worms. I have pepper plants over 6 feet tall and many over 4 foot full of pods. So I can say compost material was fine for me.

Hey Joyner,

How much compost to new soil do you use? I'm using containers and from what I've read, I should do one part new soil to three parts compost.

Back