• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Soil temp for germination: how hot is too hot?

My first new topic post! :party:

I bought a heat pad and have a bunch of seeds getting started. I've never used one before. I read that 85 is about perfect for pepper germination, but the heat pad has raised my soil temperature to about 89F (31.6C).

I hate to get caught up what might be something minor, but should I be concerned? At what temperature would you be concerned? If my soil gets too hot, what do you suggest I do?

Ideal is 78-85, give or take a couple. Most heat pads get too hot - ideally you'll need to get a thermostat, such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Heat-Mat-Thermostat/dp/B000053F9I

I don't use a thermostat, just either put them on top of the fridge or run a small space heater in the (also small) room where I germinate seeds. I started with a heat mat but gave it away. If you continue to use the heat mat, be sure to remove the plants from it once they've all sprouted (if in a tray), or one by one if you started them in individual containers.

I dont have a heat pad and this is my first grow season but have had great success with putting them ontop of the freezer. Have had close to 100% germination doing it this way. Again, take it for what its worth as this is my first grow season.

Of the 50+ seeds I started all have germinated and about 40 are now seedlings. Have used 3 diff methods, Jiffy puck, sowing in the soil with some seran wrap on top, and in a wet napkin inside a plastic baggie. Only ones that have me concerned at this time are the ones I started in a baggie and then transplanted into seed starting potting soil. They all germinated but none have come through the soil yet. I potted them up over a week ago.

I've continued monitoring, and it's staying in the 80-82F range. Dunno what that initial spike was about, but I'll be vigilant. Thanks for your guidance!

On top of freezers, blu ray players, old stereo equipment and the like are usually pretty good methods of keeping the growing medium on the warm side. Some of us get a little silly with the equipment. Comes right down to it all you really need to do is drop a seed into dirt, water it every now and then and the next thing you know boom, something has grown. Idiot proof comes to mind. Good thing too, in my case anyway. :P

In truth, I've rarely had issues with peppers germinating in my jiffy peat pods. But, I read online that superhots can be finicky, and I was thinking it would come in handy for earlier germination next year, so I thought I'd try it. Oh well! Good to know the top of my freezer can be a plan B or overflow space!

Back