• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil soil temperature question

Im just wondering about the temp for my soil. ive made a little greenhouse out in the sun for my little plants, they vary from about 2-6 inches high. its spring here in QLD aus and daytime temps are around 32 degs in the soil. just wondering if thats too hot for my little babies??

QLD?  As in Oz?    Welcome to Texas!

32oC is 90oF.  That's not too warm, but don't let it get much warmer.  Fortunately as the plants put out leaves they will shade the dirt.

What about the air temp in the greenhouse?  Can you open it a bit to allow some air circulation? 

Looking at a weather forecast for your area it looks like current highs and lows are about 80F and 60F, which makes it seem a bit odd that the ground would either be as cold as 32F or as hot as 90F.

Am I missing something? Are you just measuring 90F on the sunny soil surface because it's in a greenhouse but not measuring down a few inches?

DMF said:
QLD?  As in Oz?    Welcome to Texas!

32oC is 90oF.  That's not too warm, but don't let it get much warmer.  Fortunately as the plants put out leaves they will shade the dirt.

What about the air temp in the greenhouse?  Can you open it a bit to allow some air circulation? 
yeah i can open the front up which i did today. some of the plants have leaves on them which have in parts turned a light brown. but i think that was because they didnt have shade previous.
Dave2000 said:
Looking at a weather forecast for your area it looks like current highs and lows are about 80F and 60F, which makes it seem a bit odd that the ground would either be as cold as 32F or as hot as 90F. Am I missing something? Are you just measuring 90F on the sunny soil surface because it's in a greenhouse but not measuring down a few inches?
the thermo is down an inch or so i will take a pic tomorrow as i could be missing something as i am the newbest newb at plants 

Back