• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soiless mix

My mixture contains 1 part peat, 1 part compost manure and 1 part perlite...... and I added some worm castings. 

First off, will this work? And any suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks for reading.

It might work if it never gets rained on.  That's a very heavy mix.  And that's a lot of perlite. 

The most basic quick start recipe I could ever recommend, is 3 parts peat, 1 part perlite.  I would add 5% good quality compost (not cow manure - unless you know what feedlot it came from, and what went into/out of it) to that.   

I knew it wasn't right when I watered them. Oh well, I guess it's back to the drawing board. Anyone have any suggestions to salvage what I have? I have 3 containers and some extra of the mixture?

Patches, I would add 25-50% more peat to your mix. That should fluff it up and give you good aeration for the roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I can agree with those assessments.
A little peat isn't going to salvage that if it's being used in containers.  It's not just about fluffing the mix.  Peat is known for its amazing ability to compact when made wet.  Composted manure is going to be a moisture retention nightmare.  And just adding perlite won't fix that.
In an area that gets very little rain, that might work OK.  But rain will be the end of that mix.  But truthfully, it's not a good container mix.  Raised bed?  OK.

Back