• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Solanum betaceum (yellow variant)

After travelling to Colombia and practically being force fed the juice of these at every sitting,I kind of developed a taste. My contempt for tomatoes is no secret,but these are quite different. The terrible qualities of a tomato,but extra tangy with a guava flavor.So,here I am again attempting to grow subtropical plants in the frozen tundra. :banghead:

52828471406_ccc0cedf15_c.jpg

52828868485_1d58e7cb14_c.jpg

52828471486_54b11c9c45_c.jpg

I'm trying to grow Tamarillo again this season. I have one plant left (overwintered) from last season. Not sure if it will grow back again. The (newly bought) seeds I tried this year, did not germinate. But it is possible to grow them in The Netherlands. Not sure if It's wise. 😄

Your plant looks really good, compared to how mine usually look. What have you been feeding them?

Tamarillo is for sale here year-round at farmers' markets, usually at M$1-2 per fruit. It is offered as a substitute for tomato, but my tastebuds tell a different story. I definitely prefer tomatoes.

Getting fruits in this climate is pie in the sky that'll prove to be miles to far. But if I get lucky they will be juiced. I'm positive I will loathe them as much as tomatoes if eaten fresh.

They are sold in stores and markets in every corner of Colombia as well. You cannot sit down to eat a meal without having a glass of it slid in front of you.

I ate in a hut owned by Andino farmers where the foothils of the Andes meets the Amazon Basin. It could have been dehydration,but a spark was created and I enjoyed drinking it from that point on.

I'm trying to grow Tamarillo again this season. I have one plant left (overwintered) from last season. Not sure if it will grow back again. The (newly bought) seeds I tried this year, did not germinate. But it is possible to grow them in The Netherlands. Not sure if It's wise. 😄

Your plant looks really good, compared to how mine usually look. What have you been feeding them?

Outside it's possible to grow anything for 115 days in this zone. Some of the long season Solanaceae take jumping through hoops and my desire to grow has drastically faded over the years. Let's hope I get far enough to atleast be inspired to keep it alive for a second season.

It's in a mix I made feeding itself. I am not fertilizing it at this moment. If you are using water soluble or liquid fertilizer it will accept whatever you feed your peppers I assume. From the plant physiology books I have read,anything other than 3:1:2 ratio for the plants we grow is a waste and spun by the hydro and cannabis grift.

We started seed for dwarf Tamarillos last season 4 in ground & 2 in pots.
The plants started getting fruit in late September. The huge 8' + plants were killed by frost before the fruit ripened more than a few.

1692054302074.png

1692054395442.png

These 2 year-olds are loaded with fruit in early July this season. I think the plant stinks like poo & the ripe berries
are an acquired taste to say the least. We won't grow it again.

1692054591020.png

I would s
We started seed for dwarf Tamarillos last season 4 in ground & 2 in pots.
The plants started getting fruit in late September. The huge 8' + plants were killed by frost before the fruit ripened more than a few.

1692054302074.png

1692054395442.png

These 2 year-olds are loaded with fruit in early July this season. I think the plant stinks like poo & the ripe berries

1692054591020.png
It's always a good idea to grow Solanum species that are possible multi year projects in containers to help with quicker fruiting and the obvious benefit of wintering indoor. I left this in way too small of a pot @5gallon. 4x this size would have helped with the health of the plant.

I have grown S.abutiloides but not sure why it's called dwarf tamarillo or who quipped it originally. Like comparing apples to oranges.

...I think the plant stinks like poo & the ripe berries

Well, scratch that one off the list, lol.

Back