• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Solatube

I was just curious if anyone has ever put one of these in there home and has ever used it in a grow room environment in place of fluro's, CFL's, HD's, etc?

Well I remember these things first coming out a few years back. I dont know if its a self install or if they have someone do it for you but I do remember that the install they did on the "commercial" was post install. But yea I can see how this would be very difficult perhaps.

I just installed one in my parents home two weeks ago. It was one of THESE. They needed it for a bathroom that had no window. It brings in a incredible amount of light, even on a cloudy day. It would make a great addition to a room where more light is needed, like a grow room. Some basic tools are needed, a saber saw and a saws-all with a metal cutting blade is really helpful. Can be done on existing roofing, slipping the roof cap under the comp shingles was the hardest part. I have one coming for my own home to light up the laundry room, but I have 20+ year old shingles so it should be interesting to see how it goes.......

I imagine that the insurance company might not be happy if you do it yourself and then get rain damage in your roof.

^^^...and with the solatube there is the tax break you get to. Now I know this may be a dumbe question but does it HAVE to be a solatube brand solution to apply for the fed tax rebate? Maybe this is something I will have to look into. That way I can use real sun light which would save money on lights and the electric bill ;)

The other thing I noticed is on the site it says one of these bad boys in the 14 inch version could produce light to cover 250-300 sq.ft. ....FOR REAL?
So assume I setup the greenhouse in a room that is 10' X 10' (I know that's only 100 sq.ft.) that means I could put one of these smack dab in the middle of the room and there will be more than plenty of light coming from it for all the plants, even when the get tall and/bushy?

There's a difference between enough light to walk around a room and enough light to grow a plant. Cutting a hole in your roof to grow a plant seems nuts to me

MrArboc said:
I imagine that the insurance company might not be happy if you do it yourself and then get rain damage in your roof.

If the instructions that come with whatever DIY hardware/thing/system/etc. are followed, then it is the problem of the manufacturer, not the home owner. The home owner acted on good faith that the product purchased would perform as advertised, and did the best possible job installing said article. If someone does a DIY project that does cause damage to their home, and it is caused by faulty installation, it would not be a insurance issue. ( I sure would not call my insurance company for something I screwed up!) If I followed the instructions and the product did not perform as advertised, then I would be going after the manufacturer, not my insurance! I am a jack of all trades/hobby machinist, hobby woodworker, do it yourself, that has no problem with any aspect of home construction or remodeling, including electrical and plumbing. Each DIYer needs to assess there own abilities to be able to do the job right, and be willing to call the professionals in when they are not up to task.

treemanjohn said:
There's a difference between enough light to walk around a room and enough light to grow a plant. Cutting a hole in your roof to grow a plant seems nuts to me

Well lets assume it does offer enough light to grow in. I guess to me if I had a room that had zero light and all I had to do was a little manual labor which would also save me from purchasing expensive lighting and expensive electrical bills, seems more than worth it to me. But things like this have different value depending on who is evaluating it.

Back