• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Solutions for Too Much Sun

I did a search and could not find anything specific to my scenario, so I though I would pose an open question:

What solutions have any members come up with to address over-exposure to intense sunlight for their chili growing area?  Last year I grew bhut jolokias in a few different locations and what I found is that they did best in a location that received morning and full sun until about 1:00pm and then only indirect sunlight for the remainder of the day.  Here in Central Florida the summer sun can be absolutely brutal, combined with intense upper 90's (F) heat (35'C+).  I did grow a few of the bhut jolokias in full sun but they remained stunted for most of the season with sunburn and low/small pod production.

By contrast, my jalapeno, tabasco and cayenne peppers seemed to revel in the full-sun, with the cayenne growing to nearly 5 feet tall by the end of the season.

This year my grow list and plant count are going to exceed the amount of semi-covered space that I have available and I'll need to use my main garden space for superhots as well as the cayenne and jalapeno variants.  I'm thinking that my best bet will be to pick up some UV filter garden fabric from Amazon.com and work out some sort of partial tenting with PVC poles.  That said, I want it to look reasonably decent and not like I've had a band of gypsies move into the backyard.

Any suggestions or photo ideas?

you could do something like this
IMAG0687_zps40b59a28.jpg

if you have a tear the size of a dime there are going to be more bugs than you want in there.  look at the back of mine i have a whole walk way left open.  what you can do is just cover the top, south and west side and you would be fine.

We take a ride out in the country where the commercial growers are, to buy pieces of shade cloth that they are discarding. If one of their hot-houses develops a large tear in it, they replace the whole thing. For $20 bucks I get huge pieces.

I just make a leant-to over the south-west corners. I brace them down heavily in my garden so the wind doesn't destroy them taking my plants with them. Or, if we're expecting really severe weather, I'll take them down completely.

Im over here in Lutz, FL and have touse a 50% shade cloth on my hoop house. Depending onhow much you want to spend a shade cloth is your best bet.

Proud Marine Dad said:
How does a Ghost Pepper get too much sun when they are native to India? That place is hot!
 By it not getting any shade.

I use sunflowers as well, they grow fast and make good sticks for pushing things into my shredder

Back