• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Some advice about environment for ripening my season's last pods, please

Hi all,

First time poster here – I’ve got a question I’m hoping to get some seasoned help with.

Unfortunately, here in Virginia it has been a wet, cool summer for the most part, and fall seems to have descended early.  I’ve brought all my plants (a Bhut, a Scorpion, a Thai Red, a Scotch Bonnet, and a handful each of Habs and Super Chilis) inside the last few nights, as the temps have dipped into the low 40s.

Here is the issue:  Though I have harvested a fair amount, all the plants have unripened fruit on them.  The scotch bonnet alone has over a dozen decent pods, all green.  I’d plan on wintering the plants over, but I’d sure like to get those pods to turn red before the plants go dormant for the winter.  I have two options open to me:

1. Continue to bring them in at night, and set them out in the day.  Daytime temps, though, aren’t making it out of the high ‘60s or at most low 70s.  The sunlight is solid, though.
  1. Take them to my classroom at high school.  I’ve got a wall-long, 10’ tall east-facing window.  The temps are a constant 74 – 76 degrees.  Sunlight will obviously be less though, big window or not.  But they won’t be cold.

Which option do you folks think is more likely to help me coax those last fruits to ripeness before the plants give it up for the winter?  Short of a grow-light, does anybody have any other ideas or advice?  I really don't want to lose those peppers if I can help it. . .

Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas!

Back