• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Some BBQ & Grillin' Escapades

What is up all!

I bought a new weber kettle grill a couple weeks ago, and one things i've been wanting to do is smoke some shit! Except instead of shit, I was thinkin of using some meatness. This will be a frickin treat for me if you know the deal!

I don't smoke things much, and by much I mean twice ever.

I went in the store for a brisket, but they had it not. So, I not know what a good alternative beef product to smoke, choked under pressure and grabbed whatever looked meatful and smokable.
DSCN4265.jpg

Some chuck ribs... What's the deal, these things will probably take 6 hours at 250? That's what I'm thinkin until advised otherwise.

Made a rub of chili powder, garlic, onion powder, cumin, brown sugar, cayanne, jalapeno powder, paprika, bhut jolokia salt, and black pepper. Hope it's aight
DSCN4267.jpg

The beer'll be flowin, and ribs smokin at 12pm.

Those are smokeable but better braised, so what I'd do is smoke (approx. 3 hours), then wrap in foil, and in the foil have a liquid like apple cider, and spices, and "smoke/braise" an hour.

Oh hell yeah. And post pics. :)

I would deff wrap em. Doesn't look like much in weight so I would go about 4-5 hrs tops.

HTH, check out the Weber Virtual Bullet site if you have not already.

Looking forward to this HTH!!!!!!!!!!!

By my calcumications....those ribs ought to be getting started in about an hour or so????

:onfire:

Ohh yeah. A little late start. Got them smokin around 2:30pm. Had some fluctuating temps at first, but i got it on lock down at 230F... Many beers had... Must... keep it... together.

Peeked at it
DSCN4278.jpg

Ya know, what I forgot to take a got dang pic of was that I had about a pound of salmon that I had marinating for some lots of hours, with soy sauce, garlic, ginger and the likes. I coyuld probably give a better detailed explanation another time. But yeah. next time the cover is off I'll snap a pic o that salmon goodness.

I had a few of these and others soooyep. Been a long day. More time to go.
DSCN4275.jpg

I gotta say, I have been able to keep the temp of the smoker from 220-250 with not much problem. a long time spent at 220. Just packed em in foil with braiseness. Vinagear, some IPA OR octoberfest beer. I dont remember much to tell you the truth. May have also been draino. Not sure.

Ohh and I got some beans to go along with it all.

GOtta give credit where credit is due, I got the slow cooked pinto idea from TB, however my ingredients are that of my own.
DSCN4277.jpg

They're hot as hell. I a habanero, and some serranos and ground cayenee. S'all good in the hood.

looking good,,! lol you have a thermotar,or how ever you spel it. you have to be one with the meat.its all about time and smell let the booze lead you!

477x359xArtParadeSara12-002.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Y05TxA_L9N.jpg

Oh boy the booze is definitely leading where ever it wants to go... At this point th ebooze has the wheel.

This salmon is gonna be theeeee stuff!

Salmon are on and beans are almost done. This shits almost a rap! Or a wrap! I don't really know
DSCN4279.jpg

DSCN4280.jpg

DSCN4281.jpg

Well drunk happened and I didn't take many final pics. None of delciious plating.And none of the short ribs. But that is just to spare you. I over cooked them about an hour too long. Those things were so chewy and not tender, over smoked, and over cooked. They were barely edible.

The salmon on the other hand, holy frickin hot damn those were delicious
DSCN4282.jpg

The salmon was perfect. I dont even know how I did it. I am cravin that shit for breakfast!

Thank ya. I'm about to eat some of them left overs with dinner and smashed garlic taters... Helllll yeahh.

This morning was smoked short rib meat and scrambled egg burritos. That made the over cooked beef not so bad!

I will keep at it. Either the smoked beef just aint for me, or I used too much smoke, but I don't really like the taste. It's over powering.

Next time will be more fish, and also some chicken. But that's another day.

Well I said next time I'd do some more fish, and some chicken. However seeing how turkey is dirt cheap this time o year, then turkey it is. In honor of our annual celebration of Fakesgiving which falls on the last Sunday before Thanksgiving.
Its a 10.5lb bird. Also there was some smoked salmon, but by the time I got to that I was too damn drunky and didn't take pics. This was my first smoked whole bird. I aimed to keep the Temp around 300F, but it was more or less around 350F. For about 3 hours.

Rubber skin syndrome for sure.
I'd say I over cooked it about 20-30 mins also. Some parts were rather dry especially in the white meat. It looks damn gorgeous though. The smell was incredible.

turk 1 or.JPG

turk 2org.JPG

Happy Fakesgiving people!

You are going way to hot hot hot . 225 250 tops get yourself a good digital thermometer the Weber grills hold heat well so only a little at a time and watch the grill temp and food temp - takes practice so enjoy put a little drip pan in and center it. Home Depot sells the shields for the charcoal to keep them to the side

Back