Some plants turn to wood

Can someone explain to me why this particular pepper I had (hybrid) turned to wood while overwintering, while other peppers that are pure breeds remained green and fresh? Plant is all dried out and brown like some sort of bush, you can snap its stems like a twig.

Is the plant lost now? Did the plant die from old age, it was 10 months old? In general, why does this happen and how to prevent it?

More than likely a soil fungus is the problem. Ideally remove it from the pot, wash off all the soil from the roots that you can, repot with fresh soil and use hydrogen peroxide in your next several waterings. Here's a guide for using hydrogen peroxide in gardening - you'll want the lower table. Even if you can't repot at this point (it's hard to find soil right now, if you don't have any on hand), start using the hydrogen peroxide. I've done both and the plants have pulled through. Also, if you don't have a fan on them, get one. It will help dry out the soil and so help prevent fungi from taking hold.

geeme said:
More than likely a soil fungus is the problem. Ideally remove it from the pot, wash off all the soil from the roots that you can, repot with fresh soil and use hydrogen peroxide in your next several waterings. Here's a guide for using hydrogen peroxide in gardening - you'll want the lower table. Even if you can't repot at this point (it's hard to find soil right now, if you don't have any on hand), start using the hydrogen peroxide. I've done both and the plants have pulled through. Also, if you don't have a fan on them, get one. It will help dry out the soil and so help prevent fungi from taking hold.

I had a fungusy plant which I treated with peroxide but inside of the stem was rotten, so were the fruits. No sign of rott on this plant though, is this some other type of fungus?

Some plants also handle the cold better than others. It may just be a variety that is not very cold hardy

When that happens to mine it's usually because they had gone dormant and I forgot to water them so the soil dried out too much.

The plant is lost if the entire thing is medium-dark brown. If there's any green stem left you can trim off the brown parts a couple cm above the green and keep it.

I am overwintering some Super Chili Hybrid and they are turning to wood too. Here is a picture is it the same situation as your's ?

371260Piments.jpg

Back