• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Some so-so tomato pix

I think this plant is a Siletz. The fruit is suppose to be between 8-12 ounces. If some of the flowers form fruit, I may have enough for a meal.

siletz.jpg

This plant is a Green Sausage, AFAIK. The plant always has weak looking stems and leaves. But I love these toms for salsa. I only have about 10 of them growing but with a decent season, I should get a few pints.

sausage.jpg

I cannot seem to grow those plants that everyone else can - you know, the ones that get 6-9 feet tall. This is my tallest row:

rows.jpg

And since this is a Pepper Forum, I think this is a Red Hab plant:

hab.jpg

Note to self: next year, stick labels by plants!

Mike

Those toms look great man! And the florida weave seems to be working out nicely as well. My maters only get 6 feet tall when I sucker them like crazy. I single vine sucker mine just for larger earlier tomatoes, but you'll see much more production out of those puppies!

wordwiz said:
I cannot seem to grow those plants that everyone else can - you know, the ones that get 6-9 feet tall. This is my tallest row:

Mike

they are determinate they will only get so tall Mike -- Also not needed is taking the suckers off of a determinate tomatoes

LUCKYDOG said:
they are determinate they will only get so tall Mike -- Also not needed is taking the suckers off of a determinate tomatoes

Yup, if they're determinate, only sucker up to the first hand of flowers, then leave the rest. It is good to get ground suckers off your plants (the ones below the first flower cluster) just for disease prevention.

Most of the plants in the top row are Beefsteak or Delicious. I stuck a couple of determinates - the only ones I have are Siltez, Green Sausage and Red Zebra - in the row but for the most part the Zebras and Sausage are in the bottom two rows. I will say they are taller, noticeably, this year than they were at the same time last year.

Mike

the indeterminate will get huge if you sucker and stake them -- my Brandywines last year were huge and so were the vines.

LUCKYDOG said:
the indeterminate will get huge if you sucker and stake them -- my Brandywines last year were huge and so were the vines.

They still get huuge if you don't sucker them. My record is 18 feet tall.

Kevin,

Time will tell. The base goal is 100 quarts of juice, 24 quarts of whole toms and 24 pints of salsa. I'm probably going to have to water them this weekend - they have had only what amounts to about 1/2 of rain in the last two weeks. Temps are suppose to be in the mid to upper 80s, with lows in the mid to upper 60s for the most part. Nearly perfect!

Mike

They're looking great Mike. Barring any calamities I don't think you'll have any problem reaching your baseline goal. Best of luck to you.

Back