• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Some what newbie question??????

Hello to all.... this is my post and question. I have grown many hobs in the past with no problem.... This is the first year I have decided to "grow" with my selection... The following is a list of plants I currently have or are on order...

Bhut Jolokia's
Condor's Beak
Devil's Tongue
Five Color
Red Savina's
Peter Peppers
Scotch Bonnett
Red Scorpion
Congo Chocolate
Purple Coffee

Now what my question is, What is the best fertlizer for them? Or just continue what I have done in the past????

Anything special I should do?

In the past all I have done is, purchase the plants, plant them and once a week or every other week use miracle grow???? Worked great for regular hobs but I am hearing alot about how Bhut's and some others need more than that..

basstrackermd said:
Hello to all.... this is my post and question. I have grown many hobs in the past with no problem.... This is the first year I have decided to "grow" with my selection... The following is a list of plants I currently have or are on order...

Bhut Jolokia's
Condor's Beak
Devil's Tongue
Five Color
Red Savina's
Peter Peppers
Scotch Bonnett
Red Scorpion
Congo Chocolate
Purple Coffee

Now what my question is, What is the best fertlizer for them? Or just continue what I have done in the past????

Anything special I should do?

Welcome! Heres what I do, to give you an example.

I start indoors in early january, with CFL lights (even mixture of 2700K and 6500K). I Cut back my plants to a 4-5 inch stump with waxed tops to over winter them.

My seedlings dont get fed untill they have four true leaves, except with some superthrive.

I pinch early flowers untill they are big enough to have a decent fruit set.

I use General Purpose food (6-10-10) during vegative growth (seedlings, cutbacks).

When they are ready to set fruit, I switch to Tomato Food (9-12-12) and Bloom Booster (15-30-15).

I also supplement with Epsom Salt every two to three weeks, or when they look like they need it.

I also mix into the potting soil a small amount of Ground Eggshell, Powdered Milk (Calcium and food for soil bacteria) and Dolomite Lime.

I only feed them when they look like they need it and I only water them when they wilt, and when I do, I water them deeply so that water comes out the bottom of the pots. This removes salt buildup at the bottom of the pot.

Hope that helps :)

Richard very good post. For us newbies your info is priceless. I have read for days trying to get an idea of what to use and what not to use and more importantly when to do what with ferts. I think I have a good handle on what to do when, but what's the epsom salts for?

I also started using water from a planted aquarium tank that has a c02 injection system in and specific soil to lower the pH to around 6.3. Plus the tank gets specific supplements and of course the water is oxygenated. Since the plants in my tank thrive and I do weekly water changes on the tank already anyway I figured I would use that water to feed the peppers. I read that using c02 injected and or water that has been oxygenated really helps so I thought I would give it a try. Do you know if there are any problems using this water? Ohh the water going into the tank is neutral at 7.0 pH as it's R/O water only so I can control the environment better.

Back