• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Something I have been wondering about...

I have lots of chlorine, floride in my tap water and for months now I have been treating the plant water with Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) which is used to treat aquarium water.

Does anybody know if plants (Peppers in particular) actually use the Potassium and Manganese bound together like that?

You would think it would be a sort of fertilizer, but I have found nothing about it on the internet related to plants and uptake.

probably need a chemist/agronimist to answer that question Richard...I haven't got a clue...

I too have yucky chlorine & fluoride mixed evil city water. I try to collect as much rain water as I can, but I only have one 50 gallon barrel, so when theres a couple weeks between good rains I run dry and am forced to use the city water.

I'm no chemist and know nothing much, but I do know that if I water my plants directly with right out of tap water my plants get screwed up as the leaves turn yellow and wilt, so to prevent this fill containers with the water and let it sit for at least 3 days outside so that the chlorine at least evaporates.

I used rain water only for my seedlings but last year I watered frequently using tap water. It didn't cause any problems to any of the plants, but I found only peppers love 100+ degree heat.

Mike

Back