• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Something is wrong here...

Help me guys,

my Red Savina (it is some more than 2 weeks old)is placed by the window, which is turned on west side (I can't put it anywhere else atm) in DWC type hydro. Every day, when sun come to that window (in the afternoon, 3-6PM) poor plant starts to looking bad and sad, till evening, when all comes to beginning.
PH of nutrient solution is around 6 and TDS is around 550ppm. Two biggest leaves already look like fried on the ends.

So, everything is just fine till sun arrives, then she hangs her leaves and looks really sad, why?
:(

It might not be used to the sun yet / hardened off? Has it always lived there? I would have thought afternoon sun through a window would not cause such wilting but it's possible because it's still a seedling.

POTAWIE said:
Sounds like the plants need to be hardened off for sun/heat. What is your climate like?

You think that I did wrong with transferring her to hydro so early?
Climate is moderate, but I have and A/C in my apartment, so temp never goes more than 26-27C...

LancelBracken said:
It might not be used to the sun yet / hardened off? Has it always lived there? I would have thought afternoon sun through a window would not cause such wilting but it's possible because it's still a seedling.

5 days, same situation, it growes but it wilts on direct afternoon sun. Roots still didn't appear at the bottom of net pot, though, it'll be one week in DWC hydro at monday.

I have few more plants in pellets, what do you guys think, are there gonna be some troubles if I put that in hydro pebbles just like that, without root washing routine?
I washed roots of this one, and I accidentally made a little damage to them, but plant is look like it recovered from that and it grows, slowly, but it grows.

I don't know if its the hydro or just your lighting. I've never started peppers by a window, I prefer floro lights. Generally I'd think you'd need more than window light, especially for hydro but maybe the sun is too intense for the little ones? ALso your Ph and ppms might be a little high

POTAWIE said:
I don't know if its the hydro or just your lighting. I've never started peppers by a window, I prefer floro lights. Generally I'd think you'd need more than window light, especially for hydro but maybe the sun is too intense for the little ones? ALso your Ph and ppms might be a little high

I thought that Ph 6-6,5 is just fine for peppers, or you think it is too acid? PPMs are with a little nutrients added, I am using tap water. Confusing is that everything is all right before sun arriving.

POTAWIE said:

Really? Could that be too high? I hope not, I keep mine at around 6 - 6.2? What do you recommend as a better ph/ppm value?

When I originally add the nutrients (as per manufacturer's reccomendations) the ppm is 1200.

My outdoor plants do the same thing on occasion when they need water. The leaves get all droopy to help stop the loss of moisture. When the sun is gone they perk right up. Or I add some water to them and they perk right back up in minutes.

Don't think it has anything to do with your pH or your nutrients. If they don't have any roots they're not getting enough water. Try misting the leaves with water few hours before the sun starts to hit them. Make sure the leaves are dry before the sunlight hits them. Good luck.

I usually lose plants that I move to a window when first putting them in hydro. Even in winter, it seemed to happen. Now I put them under lights until they start developing longer roots.

Mike

Nilsen said:
Really? Could that be too high? I hope not, I keep mine at around 6 - 6.2? What do you recommend as a better ph/ppm value?

When I originally add the nutrients (as per manufacturer's reccomendations) the ppm is 1200.

manufacturer's reccomendations are always way too high, I usually go 1/3- 1/2 of what they suggest.
With hydroponic pepper plants, I believe the ideal pH is generally between 5.5- 6, but I haven't grown in hydro for some time so maybe there is newer data

Back