• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Something to do During a snowstorm

The prognosticators told us about this event for a week. They pretty much nailed it - 4-6 inches of snow. We got about five. The temps were warm enough, and the snowfall light but steady for most of the day, so traveling was not dangerous. I got my 200-cell seed trays and some el-cheapo potting soil yesterday and today (didn't have time to drive 20 miles to get good mix) so I figured I might as well experiment a bit more.

Sifted the potting soil, leaving only very fine pieces and added some used, Ferti-lome potting mix, also screened to it. Filled about 80 cells of the 200-cell tray 3/4 full, then mixed up some of the potting soil, old potting mix and lettuce (Gentilina) and after stirring it for a long time, filled the cells.

The potting soil was a buck, the seeds were a free gift from a seed purveyor and of course, the potting mix was already paid for. The water may have cost a penny or two, and I can re-use the tray, so the most I'm out is maybe 34ยข.

Of course, once I start sowing seeds it is hard to stop. So I sifted another batch of soil and old mix, put it in a germination tray, added 51 Bhut Jolokia and 12 7-pod seeds. Everything got set in a tub of water until the soil/mix was completely saturated, then put in a germ chamber where the temps stay about 86.

I also stuck eight Swiss Chard seeds in some horticubes, just to replace some plants in a hydro grow that were failing (different thread).

It's still snowing but very lightly. We are at about 5" now and may get to 5.5 but probably not. Who cares! My seeds are in a warm place, snuggly covered with good or bad potting stuff, and I'll see how they turn out!

Mike

pretty crazy here today in Cinci! WE got about 5 inches up here in mason. good luck with the grow! just put a bunch of my guys in dirt fresh from the paper towel bag

In CT we have gotten creamed there is over 15" in my yard with a nice crusty cap on it before the 4" today never mind the whoop ass that is expected on T W TH - your right tho - what better time to start the germination process

Wednesday I decided to try some more seeds, this time Super Sugar Snap peas, Bloomsdale Spinach, Bright Light Swiss Chard and Calabrese Broccoli. This morning, the peas are exploding out of the soil. Looks like a couple of the Chard and Broccoli are also breaking through.

Once the majority of the seeds sprout, I plan on moving the tray to my unheated GH. Our lows can still get into the teens but the normal low is 23. It's 55 inside now, if I had a door on it, it would likely be in the 70s.

Not sure if the 200-cell trays are large enough to get transplant size seedlings or not. I have a couple of 72-cell trays so I may try them just to see how they work.

Mike

Back