Sooooooooooo, who has/ has pics of the West Indian Purple

Like it says above.

I would love to see pics of this thing.  There was a post on C2C but the pics are gone. 

I'm trying to piece a few puzzles together and this one is the missing piece in that 10 000 piece puzzle.

Cheers

Nigel it would appear that the WI Red, Green and Purple were amongst the first releases from CARDI.  The Red and the Green appear to be pretty much the same thing - except that the green turns very slowly - so it is harcvested green and shipped as such - and it is close to ripe ito flavour and pungency.  However the Purple I have never seen pics of.  I have a suspicion that it is a parent in a chili that came from a CARDI trial plot.  I will expand later once I've seed the thing. 

Cheers

Thanks Rob.

This is the only thing I`ve seen specifically from/for CARDI and the farmers.

RobStar said:
Nigel it would appear that the WI Red, Green and Purple were amongst the first releases from CARDI.  The Red and the Green appear to be pretty much the same thing - except that the green turns very slowly - so it is harcvested green and shipped as such - and it is close to ripe ito flavour and pungency.  However the Purple I have never seen pics of.  I have a suspicion that it is a parent in a chili that came from a CARDI trial plot.  I will expand later once I've seed the thing. 

Cheers

http://www.cardi.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Hot-Pepper-Production-Manual-for-Trinidad-and-Tobago-2011-reprint.pdf

Nigel I knew I had some info on it - it is here: http://www.cardi.org/cardi-publications/factsheets/crops/

The doc is titled: New hot pepper lines for the Caribbean. December 1999. Adams H and Paulraj L, Roberts C and Sisnett D. St. Michael, Barbados: Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute

They give a description of it - pale green with purple blushed shoulders.

OK why I wanted to know:  if you check Sara Ragoonath's (aka TriniHottie) photobucket album stream you will see some CARDI trial plots.  Here's the link: http://s263.photobucket.com/user/trinihottie/media/004.jpg.html

I have no doubt that quite a few of her introductions originated in these plots.  One of them is a brownish-burgundy-purplish brown (whatever colour you want to call it) chili that has done the rounds as 7 Pot Burgundy and Mafeking Mauve.  It is a strange thing - there is some 7 Pot in it, but there also appears to be a Congo/maybe Scotch Bonnet influence as well.  I suspect that it is a cultivar that was trialled in these plots - but was never released.  The taste is somewhat unusual: definite passion fruit first, followed by a strange honey/syrup/caramel flavour......and then that incredibly intense almost acidic bite of capsaicin.  No throat burn - all on the front of the mouth and tongue.  Quite a shock.  It does have a lingering sweetness as well.  The burn becomes quite manageable quite quickly - it does not appear tpo have high dihydrocapsaicin at all - if any.

I was hoping that pics of the WI Purple would shed light on possible parentage.  I am suspect that it may have been involved. 

Cheers

RobStar said:
I have no doubt that quite a few of her introductions originated in these plots.  One of them is a brownish-burgundy-purplish brown (whatever colour you want to call it) chili that has done the rounds as 7 Pot Burgundy and Mafeking Mauve.  It is a strange thing - there is some 7 Pot in it, but there also appears to be a Congo/maybe Scotch Bonnet influence as well.  I suspect that it is a cultivar that was trialled in these plots - but was never released.  The taste is somewhat unusual: definite passion fruit first, followed by a strange honey/syrup/caramel flavour......and then that incredibly intense almost acidic bite of capsaicin.  No throat burn - all on the front of the mouth and tongue.  Quite a shock.  It does have a lingering sweetness as well.  The burn becomes quite manageable quite quickly - it does not appear tpo have high dihydrocapsaicin at all - if any.

I have got to say if the 7-pot Burgundy tastes and burns like you say I am growing it next season.  Sounds like I may have finally found a pepper for my passion fruit hot sauce.

Robisburning said:

I have got to say if the 7-pot Burgundy tastes and burns like you say I am growing it next season.  Sounds like I may have finally found a pepper for my passion fruit hot sauce.
I second the 7-pot burgundy for this. It`s a great pepper with great flavour, yet very manageable heat.
PexPeppers made a Manzano and Passionfruit fermented sauce last year and it was the best sauce I`ve ever had, bar none. 

Back