food Sorpotel - Pork in Hot and Sour Sauce

I'm finding that I really really like vindaloo's and vindaloo like dishes. There's just something about the slightly bitter vinegar base that combines so well with garlic. We've made this dish a few times and seem to come back to it quite often. I've made modifications to the recipe, but I'll present it here as it appears in the book Savoring India: Recipes and Reflections on Indian Cooking p. 104

---------------

The Portuguese, who colonized and ruled Goa for 450 years, introduced the Goans to pork and the meat remains in high esteem. It features in chourico, the garlicky sausage similar to the Spanish chorizo, and the world-famous vindaloo. But the dish most beloved of Goans is Sorpotel, a stew of pork meat, lung, heart, and liver. The meat is seasoned and pickled with a special sweet-and-sour vinegar made of coconut palm sap and spices. This intensely flavored preparation tastes best when made with fatty, tender shoulder meat. If you enjoy very hot dishes, double the amount of cayenne pepper. Serve with coconut rice or bread.

------------

Ingredients:

*1 pork liver (optional)
*1 pork heart (optional)
*1 pork lung (optional)
1 1/2 lb pork shoulder meat cut into 1" cubes
2 cloves garlic, unpeeled, bruised
*20 fresh or 40 dried kari leaves, or 2 cassia leaves
3 cups water
5 TBSP lard or usli ghee, or 2.5 fluid ounces olive oil or vegetable oil
2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 TBSP peeled and grated or crushed fresh ginger
2 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
6 fresh hot green chiles such as serrano, seeded and sliced
1/4 cup coconut milk or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup tamarind water
2 TBSP jaggery or maple syrup
1 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste.
-------------

Directions:

1. If using the liver, heart, and lung, rinse them and pat dry on paper towels, then place in a deep pot. Add the pork shoulder meat, garlic, kari or cassia leaves, and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered, occasionally skimming the froth off the top with a skimmer, until the meat is partially cooked, about 20 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a cutting board. Cut off and discard and membranes or sinews from the liver, heart, and lung, if used, then cut them into 1" pieces. Set aside with the shoulder meat.

2. Strain the stock, return it to the pot, bring to a boil over high heat, and boil until reduced in volume to about 1 cup. Set aside

3. In a large, heavy frying pan over high heat, warm 2 TBSP of the lard, usli ghee, or oil. When hot, add a few of the meat pieces and sear quickly until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the seared meat pieces to a bowl. Repeat in batches with remaining meat pieces.

4. Add the remaining lard, usli ghee, or oil and the onion, ginger, and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly browned, about 8 minutes.

5. Stir in the cayenne pepper, turmeric, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix well. Return the cooked meat, with its juices, to the pan. Add the chilies, coconut milk or vinegar, tamarind water, jaggery or maple syrup, salt, and reserved pork stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the meat absorbs much of the liquid and the sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve at once.

-------------

Pics to follow...

-------------
* I left these out of the recipe because I don't care for organ meat and I couldn't find any of the leaves. If you leave these out, skip the first two steps.

Awesome! I agree 100%. I LOVE vindaloo and eat it at least once per week. Seriously.

The vinegar is what makes the curry; that, and the extreme heat. The curry resembles a hot sauce with the vinegar and heat.

You sir, have good taste!

Here's a few pics I snapped along the way. A few of the ingredients prepped for cooking. The serrano's were JUST picked. I'm loving the fact that I can go and cut these off the plants instead of relying on the hit and miss grocery store version.

sorpotel001.jpg

I used pork loin instead of pork shoulder

sorpotel002.jpg

Finnished searing the pork so it was removed to fry the onions, garlic, and ginger.

sorpotel003.jpg

Here it is cooking. All ingredients have been added and now I'm just waiting for it to simmer down.

sorpotel004.jpg

It smells fantastic! Man I love this stuff! Rice and naan are the usual sides to many of my Indian dishes.

We usually have it once a week as well, but if it were up my girlfriend we'd have vindaloo every second night. I like the fact that it's fairly cheap and easy to make.

Cool. So did you sue vinegar here?

You bet! We tend to use vinegar when it's optional instead of coconut milk. The finished product with naan and rice topped with a bit of the sauce.

sorpotel.jpg

Awesome, dude, awesome!

Blister that is hot blue and righteous! (thought I would steal TB's line before he said it!) :lol: HA HA TB!

Fallin'

Me Drunky

JayT said:
Blister that is hot blue and righteous! (thought I would steal TB's line before he said it!) :lol: HA HA TB!
Hehe. You forgot some drunk salutation, like:

Chippers,

Drunk Skunky

Thanks guys. You can really see the tamarind in the sauce.

For those who may not be aware, tamarind is usually located in the asian foods isle and can be had as a pure. It's much easier to deal with than actually making tamarind paste from the plant.

I love tamarind. I've had tamarind margaritas. Are you jealous? LOL

Nice, I like how you guys are sticking it to TB! Not that I have anything against him, but you gotta stick it to someone :lol: Kinda like a preemptive strike...

Mate that is truly awesome.....I love a good vindaloo and that sounds really good......

Tony05 is growing a curry tree and it's great going out and picking fresh leaves off the tree........We didn't realise the thing was going to grow so bloody big though..:lol:

Blister said:
Nice, I like how you guys are sticking it to TB! Not that I have anything against him, but you gotta stick it to someone :lol: Kinda like a preemptive strike...

: moyboy rejoices. They are ganging up on somebody else :

HOLY CRAP MOY! YOU KNOW SOMEONE WITH A CURRY TREE!? You lucky sombitch! I would give my left testicle to have that! All the recipes I've seen call for fresh curry leaves and that if you can't find fresh, omit. Apparently dried leaves just don't give the same flavor.

Blister said:
HOLY CRAP MOY! YOU KNOW SOMEONE WITH A CURRY TREE!? You lucky sombitch! I would give my left testicle to have that! All the recipes I've seen call for fresh curry leaves and that if you can't find fresh, omit. Apparently dried leaves just don't give the same flavor.

No they don't give the same flavour.....The difference between the dried leaves and the fresh leaves from my brothers tree is like the difference between buying cheap instant coffee and grinding your own fresh roasted beans....the fresh taste is amazing...:D

OHHHHHHhhh! That's a big difference. I guess that's why they say omit if you can't find fresh :(.

I was just looking up the hardiness zones and I'm way outside of the required zone. I wonder if I could bonsai one of them :think:

Back