• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Sorry Guys Your Favorite Hot Sauce is Bad!!!

Tabasco?  Is that even a hot sauce?  I thought it was just red vinegar...

Honestly, I need a sauce where I can feel the heat.  My favs are Stargazer by Pepper North, Exhorresco by Burns & McCoy, Reaper Squeezin's by Puckerbutt Pepper Co...  Those are great sauces with delicious pepper flavour.  I need to get that endorphin rush, and there's not much that does it for me anymore. 

Yellowbird is pretty good but still not hot enough for me. If they made something hotter than a ghost pepper sauce, I'd totally give it a try though.

brochachosHS said:
in all seriousness I can't get behind overtly vinegar-y sauces, such as classic hot sauces like Tabasco. AND YEA I SAID SOMETHING BAD ABOUT TABASCO! Come at me, bro!

I absolutely hate Tabasco (the sauce) ... might as well blend up cayenne and Massengill douche!

My current high for a hot sauce (substitute it instead of catsup or mustard for EVERYTHING) is Evil Ooze.  Love that stuff !!!

I see El Yucateca isn't very liked here. Mexican hot sauces use lime way too much.

I was introduced to it when I took my girlfriend to our local Mexican restaurant and asked for something hot to add and they brought me the green sauce. I wasn't a fan until I dumped some into the salsa dip they always bring before your order comes and stirred it up. They compliment each other really well!

To be fair, though... I see lime as a stand alone flavor. If I wanna taste lime, I'll eat one.

Ruid said:
I see El Yucateca isn't very liked here. Mexican hot sauces use lime way too much.

I was introduced to it when I took my girlfriend to our local Mexican restaurant and asked for something hot to add and they brought me the green sauce. I wasn't a fan until I dumped some into the salsa dip they always bring before your order comes and stirred it up. They compliment each other really well!

To be fair, though... I see lime as a stand alone flavor. If I wanna taste lime, I'll eat one.

I just got back from a trip to Mexico and finished a bottle of El Yucateco's XXXtra Hot Sauce in 5 days.  The buffet at the resort had Tabasco, Valentina and a few homemade sauces that weren't too hot.  Luckily, I found the El Yucateco in the gift shop.  I think it tastes great.  Usually, I'd buy something a bit hotter, but I was in a bind and that's the hottest sauce I could find.

Tabasco has always had a place, albeit mostly something on an egg McMuffin on the road in the morning.  We still use it, because I'm the only one in the house nuts enough to eat Bhuts and other hotter things.  I just save the bottles to use for other sauces I make.  They do make some other flavored sauces, which are OK, but not at the pepperhead's heat level requirement. 

In my almost 7 decades of existence, Tabasco will always remain an Iconic sauce for me.  It has been and still is a Classic for homemade seafood cocktail sauce.  Always threw it over some cheese atop crackers for a quick after-school snack prior to Mom cooking dinner...man that stuff was good then and I still keep a bottle in the fridge. :hotsauce:  :lol:  :lol: 

I tried Cajun Chef hot sauce the other day while waiting for a meal....talk about a let down. It hardly had any heat to it at all. Flavor wasn't bad it just wasn't even remotely hot.

I wouldn't expect it to be hot by the name. Cajun Chef? Most Louisiana sauces and Cajun spices are tame, perhaps by today's standards, but tame nonetheless. 

the more i try other sauces and expand my palate, the deeper my appreciation for tabasco grows. 

tabasco was always the main hot sauce i had growing up, and so at first when i was getting into peppers and 'artisanal' sauces, i thought my love of it was it was just simple childhood indoctrination.
but now i sincerely believe that tabasco flavor/aroma is wonderfully complex and intoxicating. they age it in oak a few years, right? is that part of the aroma?

i think the biggest valid criticism of it is it's too vinegar-forward.

idk if i can say it's the best sauce, but i do think it's super good. i'll probably keep buying it for the rest of my life.
if for some stupid reason i could only have one hot sauce from here on out (desert island scenario), tabasco might be my choice.

PS: what sauces, if any, do you think are direct competitors to tabasco, and how do you think they compare?
imo, crystal and frank's fit the bill, but i think they're overall inferior to tabasco.

blis blast? i've been wanting to try that one. keep hearing good things.

haven't found a good opportunity to buy it though. i never see it for sale when i'm buying sauce, and i haven't worked up to paying shipping for one bottle of an already expensive sauce. direct from them, it's $20.85 + $9.63 shipping. holy chit.

Hab_Nut said:

One thing I haven't tried - when a tabasco bottle is empty, use one of the larger meat injectors (like Chachere's) to refill the bottle with sauce of your choice. Those bottles are a nice size for smuggling into restaurants.

I reuse them for some of my more liquid sauces.  Work well.

sinensis said:
PS: what sauces, if any, do you think are direct competitors to tabasco, and how do you think they compare?
imo, crystal and frank's fit the bill, but i think they're overall inferior to tabasco.

Franks, Crystal, Louisiana, Texas Pete, Cholula are all similar to Tobasco.  Of them all I prefer Cholula & Texas Pete. 

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Blis is the best tasting mild hot sauce i have ever tried. Price is not that bad considering the bottle size. Mild enough to use like ketchup for fries but the flavor is top shelf.

2 bottles shipped is under $30 on amazon

1 bottle here shipped is about $18
https://store.foundersbrewing.com/blis-blast-hot-sauce-m1342

thanks, i didn't think to check amazon for some reason.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ8L182

it's actually $14.98 shipped for a bottle right now (prime, sold by amazon). ordered!

sinensis said:
blis blast? i've been wanting to try that one. keep hearing good things.

haven't found a good opportunity to buy it though. i never see it for sale when i'm buying sauce, and i haven't worked up to paying shipping for one bottle of an already expensive sauce. direct from them, it's $20.85 + $9.63 shipping. holy chit.
I find it at my local meijer for under $7 a bottle

Back