• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sorry: pepper plant in a filing cabinet light question

Searched and searched and couldn't find the simple answer. I've got two plants I pulled and potted that I would like to stash in my empty cabinet at work until the spring thaw
could I just hook up one simple light in there and put the plants in and turn the light on 8 hrs per day? What type of bulb would I need to buy? I've looked at Home Depot and there are literally 100 different light bulbs
thanks for any help!

they make leds that would work for that purpose
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-3W-E27-Red-Blue-60LEDS-Hydroponic-LED-Plant-Grow-Light-Home-Garden-Flowering-/190777021974?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6b325616&vxp=mtr

It totally depends upon your goal(s). If all you want to do is keep the plants alive through the winter, just put them next to a window. No window? Go for a spectrum bulb, which you can even just put in a desk lamp.

If you want more than that, to see if you can get some production going, then you'll want to get "fancy." I'll let others explain that. I personally only have a goal of keeping them alive. They are in various rooms with uncovered windows, and that does the trick for me.

thanks guys! I guess the goal is actually more than just keeping them alive. I know I'm not going to have poddage in there. (maybe??) But I would really like to see son growth, as I've cut them back a bit...and they were runts to begin with. I wish I had windows as an option, but I'm without any options. They are currently in the kitchen on top of the fridge and the wife keeps kind of staring at them...like its time for them to go. Just waiting on the last pods to ripen, then it's off to work they go. Anything WalMart or Home Depot might have?

I would use a small power strip running through the back and a two or three 100w equivalent CFL daylight bulbs (5000k-6500k)...I'll post up a pic in a minute. Also a cheap timer would work instead of the power strip then the light cycle would be automatic...
IMG_0650.jpg

You can see the small light socket outlet adapters...a couple bucks at HD Splitters are optional...

This is what they look like all hooked up on a 4' power strip, but a small power strip would work just as well...
IMG_0655.jpg

Just make sure you are using "daylight" bulbs...and at least 75w equivalent and you should be rocking in there. The two types of bulbs on this strip are 100w eq at 5000k (larger and yellower light) and 75w 6500k (smaller and whiter) if I were to put a normal "soft white" bulb on the strip it would look dark yellow in comparison. Just watch your temperature in there...may have to vent it a little somehow???

... Just watch your temperature in there...may have to vent it a little somehow?

Great idea and your lights look boss! Like I've said before I don't know anything about indoor grow but as you state "watch the temp," if he is really going into a file cabinet as implied from the title & OP, shouldn't he have some type of computer fans (or more powerful fans) for ventilation?

Edit: I see it's network rack VS file cabinet, still a little fan wouldn't hurt IMHO

I would use a small power strip running through the back and a two or three 100w equivalent CFL daylight bulbs (5000k-6500k)...I'll post up a pic in a minute. Also a cheap timer would work instead of the power strip then the light cycle would be automatic...
IMG_0650.jpg

You can see the small light socket outlet adapters...a couple bucks at HD Splitters are optional...

This is what they look like all hooked up on a 4' power strip, but a small power strip would work just as well...
IMG_0655.jpg

Just make sure you are using "daylight" bulbs...and at least 75w equivalent and you should be rocking in there. The two types of bulbs on this strip are 100w eq at 5000k (larger and yellower light) and 75w 6500k (smaller and whiter) if I were to put a normal "soft white" bulb on the strip it would look dark yellow in comparison. Just watch your temperature in there...may have to vent it a little somehow???
just out of curiosity
what is the TSP used for?? i know its a cleaner and powerful De-greaser,

please let me know

thanks your friend Joe

damn is that under your desk??? That is a whole new level of awesome. Is that bulb a "daylight" bulb? I'm starting to think of other places in my office now.
WalkGood, it is a big 6foot metal cabinet with a lot of space. But yeah, I will get a tiny can in there for sure. Thanks again everyone!

just out of curiosity
what is the TSP used for?? i know its a cleaner and powerful De-greaser,

please let me know

thanks your friend Joe
Trisodium Phosphate is for virus prevention...Kills PMMoV. Gotta be careful using the stuff, it can kill the seeds if done improperly, and even done right can drop germination %...1lb per gallon in 125 degree water for 30 minutes is what it calls for to kill the virus in infected seeds.

Always great to hear from you Joe!

As far as the lights they go on my grow shelf...not under a desk, but I have used similar under a desk in my barracks room...until I got busted by the XO, he thought I was growing dope.
Shane

Trisodium Phosphate is for virus prevention...Kills PMMoV. Gotta be careful using the stuff, it can kill the seeds if done improperly, and even done right can drop germination %...1lb per gallon in 125 degree water for 30 minutes is what it calls for to kill the virus in infected seeds.

Always great to hear from you Joe!

As far as the lights they go on my grow shelf...not under a desk, but I have used similar under a desk in my barracks room...until I got busted by the XO, he thought I was growing dope.
Shane
thanks for the clarification on the TSP i work for Home Depot and see that stuff all the time, and know its a good cleaning agent but didnt know it had anti-virus properties also

yes thanks i know about the CFL's i use the same ones they work great

thanks your friend Joe

WP_000303_zps7b9fee6b.jpg

Here is the space and one of the plants, the other is just for size reference. I don't seem to have any place to run an extension cord......have to bring the drill tomorrow! Muhahahah

Question, will I need to place the lights really, really close to the tops of the plants or just hang a bulb or two at the top of the space there?

I would just put the lights at the top and then prop the plants up on a box or something to get them to within a couple inches. I run the same bulbs...will work just fine.

Back